For those with an interest in luthier work & repairs

What's Hot
IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
Check this guys blog out:

http://www.guitartechnicalservices.co.uk
Some great stuff on there - very interesting reading.
Previously known as stevebrum
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Love a good repair blog.

Damn, he likes his slots pretty low!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16654
    Love a good repair blog.

Look at the first fret, if all the frets are that low it explains why the nut is low.   The nut slots should be, in theory equal to, in practice a hair above, the height of the frets .   
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    Not to encroach on stevs thread but this might interest our northern brethren (collection only) who like a bit of luthiery.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Big-lot-Luthier-tools-router-pillar-drill-saws-clamps-guitar-parts-cabinet-/331119934911?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

• Looks like an anally retentive tech.

Which is the kind of guy I'd like to set my guitars up!

He'd cry if he saw my jazzmaster...  
  • WezV said:
    Love a good repair blog.

Look at the first fret, if all the frets are that low it explains why the nut is low.   The nut slots should be, in theory equal to, in practice a hair above, the height of the frets .   
    Aye. As long as his slot bottoms are properly filed, no big deal. Might have took some height off the nut instead. 
  • Iamnobody said:

he must be just down the road from @not_the_dj - I wonder if he knows about him?
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Iamnobody said:

he must be just down the road from @not_the_dj - I wonder if he knows about him?
    Oo, that means he's not all that far from where I work too....Might be worth me taking a couple of my guitars down there for some TLC*

*TLC...or "Good god, what have you done to THIS?! I am surprised you even know how to tune the damn thing if that's the state you've got it into....I'll see what I can do, but I'm not Derren Brown, ya know..." as it's also known

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Iamnobody said:

Oo, that means he's not all that far from where I work too....Might be worth me taking a couple of my guitars down there for some TLC*

*TLC...or "Good god, what have you done to THIS?! I am surprised you even know how to tune the damn thing if that's the state you've got it into....I'll see what I can do, but I'm not Derren Brown, ya know..." as it's also known
    In that case you could take mine as well and you would get the blame...
    ;)

[BTW that's my least favourite emoticon on here, its just a bit patronising isn't it? I think my favourite is the pirate, just hard to find reasons to use it]
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited February 2014
    Iamnobody said:

;)

[BTW that's my least favourite emoticon on here, its just a bit patronising isn't it? I think my favourite is the pirate, just hard to find reasons to use it]
    Hey, it's just a smilie. 

;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Iamnobody said:

;)

Hey, it's just a smilie. 

;)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:ar!

Phew, that's better.
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Yeah, I woulda sent it back to him if it came back with the top of the nut that high above the strings...
  • EdGrip said:
    Yeah, I woulda sent it back to him if it came back with the top of the nut that high above the strings...
    I'm sure he would have explained his methods beforehand. I don't know the guy's work myself but having worked at Eggle I presume he has half a clue!

As long as the slots are properly shaped it's not necessarily a bad thing. 
  • I have had set-up work done by Peter Allen, but not for a while. Back when Richard's Guitars was Regent Guitars in Leamington he was the go-to tech for everything. Used to work at Patrick Eggle in Cov iirc. Certainly very well respected.
  • If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.