Do I want a tele?

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1220
I had a play with my bandmates' tele on Saturday and it had a thing going on that I rather liked. 

However I can't get my head around the way they look. One day I can appreciate the looks then the next I think it's dog rough. 

I've got a Strat and a LP Junior that aren't getting played much and I'm considering chopping them both in for a new guitar. Should I get a tele?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4665
    Yes.yes you should everyone should have a tele :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • cacophonycacophony Frets: 385
    to me, it's the eye as much as the ear. i know that shouldn't be the case, but it is and there's nowt i can do about it. and to me, again, the tele is an ugly slab of wood.i wouldn't even consider one, i know i am probably 'missing out' on something in the opinion of many on here, but... *shrugs shoulders*
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Depends on what shows you watch.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    What other guitars have you got?  I'm asking because if the Tele is going to be your only guitar I think you might get a bit bored with it/it's limitations.  (I'll probably get lynched for saying something like that).
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    The answer is yes. A Thinline 69 would be my recommendation if you are concerned about looks. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • I love teles. The minor criticisms above are strengths in my eyes.  Simplicity and reliability. Most people will reach the limitations of their ability long before exhausting the possibilities of a tele. 
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4665
    I hated the look of teles, refused to have anything to do with them, country & western, just thought they looked boring and sounded twangy. 

I was wrong, I find I play my tele differently in the way I attack the strings for some reason. And I adore the neck on my classic vibe. 

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    I love teles. The minor criticisms above are strengths in my eyes.  Simplicity and reliability. Most people will reach the limitations of their ability long before exhausting the possibilities of a tele
    Good point I think.  But if you're a Strat player (and Rico has one) then a Tele never quite delivers in terms of the palate/range of sounds.  At least that's my experience.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Of course you want a Tele.
  • DanjiDanji Frets: 225
    I have two T-type guitars, one is a cheap-as squire affinity and the other is a hand-built nocaster. I love the simplicity, and I play them daily.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Of course you do

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    I love some Tele players (Roy Buchanan in particular) but not wild about them personally. I've owned a few - including a lovely CS 63 - but never kept one.

There is significant on-line pressure to be a Tele player - unless you're really convinced you need one - I'd resist the urge to buy....
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3186
    thebreeze said:
    I love teles. The minor criticisms above are strengths in my eyes.  Simplicity and reliability. Most people will reach the limitations of their ability long before exhausting the possibilities of a tele
    Good point I think.  But if you're a Strat player (and Rico has one) then a Tele never quite delivers in terms of the palate/range of sounds.  At least that's my experience.
    Interesting view, I always do the exact opposite and end up back on the tele because a strat is lovely but just doesn't seem to cut through in comparison. I also find though that I am most likely to swap between my les Paul special and tele depending on my desire for warmth or top end clarity, the strat sounding soft in comparison.

In answer to the OP's question, I think there is a clear need for a tele, a strat, a les Paul, a 335, a gretsch, a jazzmaster and possibly a Ricky in every collection (or at least this is what I tell the wife) -so why not keep the strat and Les Paul special and save for that tele, you will find it the perfect middle ground between the two. After that you can save for any of the others from the 'essentials' list too. ;)
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8693
    Of course you want a Tele. They hang differently. You play them differently. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    You can get guitars which sound like Teles but don't look like them. As long as it has a Fender-style maple neck and the classic Tele-type bridge with a fat single-coil pickup then it will sound in the same ballpark. Tele purists make far too much fuss about the little details like three bridge saddles and through-body stringing, but it really doesn't matter that much.

Even if you go for a Tele body style, a nice paint job makes them look a lot less like a plank.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    coda have a 2nd hand K Line truxton...job done
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    edited April 2017
    Roland said:
    Of course you want a Tele. They hang differently. You play them differently. 
    Wise words, as every instrument has a different feel, hang and of course sound. Personally I love the way they sound and I love the way they play but I'm a smaller guy and they look kind of huge on me. 

I can get pretty close to (in fact VERY close to) that sound, with my Ovation Viper. No kidding, and the neck on it is superb AND it's a bit more individual. I wanted one since I was a kid, ended up buying one a few years ago and it's going nowhere....apart from gigs that is....

I totally get the love so many people have for them but they're not quite for me. I keep looking at them again and again and I've owned four but always end up selling them...
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    edited April 2017
    Yes, bit put some really decent pickups in it!.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• I have owned a few, from an original 1973 sunburst (awful) through to my current CS. Probably the easiest to play was a 2014 US Deluxe. Not the one with the Humbucker but compound fingerboard, noiseless pickups, locking tuners. It was a sensational player and I think used prices are reasonable. As @ICBM mentions, some purists can be a bit sniffy and I have the feeling that the US deluxe was not well liked.

I have a strat that I am thinking of selling as I much prefer my PRS if I need a wiggle stick.