Like driving? Like driving fast? I'm going to ruin your evening.

What's Hot

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24262
    I think I'll stay out of this thread somehow.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    Sporky said:

much more EASY money to collect where a 40 slows to 30  on a hill.

Only because there are enough people who can't work all the pedals in their car.

Are you a virgin?
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28030
    Sporky said:

Only because there are enough people who can't work all the pedals in their car.

Are you a virgin?
    Are you a five year old in a playground?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    the thing that gets me is the way car makers put the speedo on the floor in the back, giving us innocent motorists no way to quickly glance at our speed before placing our attention to the road again. We're being fined due to the evil machinations of callous car makers.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    VimFuego said:
    the thing that gets me is the way car makers put the speedo on the floor in the back, giving us innocent motorists no way to quickly glance at our speed before placing our attention to the road again. We're being fined due to the evil machinations of callous car makers.
    The evil tory bastards!

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I blame the unelected liberal elites, usually.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    Sporky said:
    Sporky said:

Are you a virgin?

Yes
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    As someone who's had 9 points at very times in their driving career, I've completely changed my mind on this in the last few years and realise what a twattish driver I was. I always believed I was safe, and I never had an accident, but how bad would I have felt fucking up someone's life because was doing 55 in a 40. The speed limit can be frustrating at times, and often downright inappropriate, as also the strategic placement of cameras, but it is what it is , and that's a public highway and a means of getting from A to B, not a race track.

However, bastards who drive constantly under the speed limit, they really should be fined off the roads for being dangerous.

And yes the politics of jealously comment is a bit odd!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:

Yes
    Then you definitely shouldn't be driving.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483

I've often wondered what you have to do to get points. I've been driving for 29 years now, I have been pulled over a grand total of twice in that entire time. Now, I'm no angel, I generally drive between 70 and 80 on the m way if I'm going a distance, but no points ever. So I'm curious what you have to do to get tickets.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 777
    I count myself to be one of the lucky people never to have been done for speeding, not because I have never done it, but I have never been caught. I don't agree with speeding, but I am not naive enough to think that at some point in my life I have not but have still got away with it. 

If if you get done for speeding, you are 'bang to rights' and should not moan!
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2368
    Budgie said:
    Good, it might dissuade the cnuts doing stupid speeds through our 30mph village. I pointed at the sign that shows your speed tonight while walking the dog to some such dipshit who took offence and stopped to remonstrate. Apparently he was going to 'do me' next time he saw me. I enquired as to why it wasn't possible right now, he got back in his car and drove off. Odd fecker.
    Yep, that happens to me on a regular basis when dog walking through the village, people really hate it and of all ages and sexes too. I've had a lot of abuse, guys stopping and reversing just to remonstrate. One even did a full lap round the village and back. Another a young lad in a Corsa did a U turn to come back and started to shout abuse as he passed through the temporary road work traffic lights, but the lights went to red and he was stuck so I walked over and he saw my 6ft 4 rugby stature and looked worried revved up then drove off through the red lights with me shouting 'Come back sonny' Lol.
    They seem to think that if its early in the morning or after tea they can do 50/60mph in a 30. I've been known to pretend to step into the road as they approach...that they really don't like but it slows them down! The thing that bugs me is that these people aren't strangers passing through but locals who either live just outside the village or in the next village. Farmers in their Range Rovers with cattle trailers are a typical speeder here or the school run mums on their phones running late.
     As I sit here tonight I might hear 15 cars max go past in the next three hours but I guarantee you that one will go past at 70mph plus and make the sash windows rattle....the milk tanker is a likely culprit too, I once had him stop at the junction after hammering it down the road and I shouted 'Its not ferkin blood you're transporting, its just milk and the shops are already full of it ' he shouted abuse and tore off....need to lie down now, my blood is boiling...lol.
    I should add that earlier in my life I have had the misfortune of living on a very busy road and saw three people get run over and killed.....it kind of sticks with you.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    VimFuego said:

I've often wondered what you have to do to get points. I've been driving for 29 years now, I have been pulled over a grand total of twice in that entire time. Now, I'm no angel, I generally drive between 70 and 80 on the m way if I'm going a distance, but no points ever. So I'm curious what you have to do to get tickets.

You get caught, that is all, I got to do a speed awareness course because I was doing 35 in a 30....insane 

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited April 2017
    I was once a passenger in a car where the driver was doing near enough 70 in a 40 and it was truly terrifying. I would never, ever drive that far above the speed limit.

I've only been done once, I have the course in a couple of weeks. Got caught doing 36 just after the limit changed from 40 down to 30. I'm still annoyed about that one. It was almost midnight and the road was quiet, I was in full control and it was well within my capabilities to stop had there been an emergency. But whatever, they got me and now I have to cough up and shut up.

The only place my speed is ever consistently above the limit is motorways - my average is probably more like 80. I should probably knock that on the head but really, 70 feels fucking slow and I have places to be.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4627
    I've caught twice.
    Once when I was young (25) and given a powerful company car. I was proper speeding 125 on the A414. Fair cop.
    Second time, 36 in a 30. A dual carriage way with concrete barriers between road and pavement. Was not familiar with the town and was looking at direction road signs and did not notice the tiny 30 sign (The stretch before was a 50) so I actually thought I was driving very slowly.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908

I suspect a lot of people get caught because they don't clearly know the rules about when/how speed limits change - I know I didn't until I went on a speed awareness course, about 4 years ago.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Bucket said:
    The only place my speed is ever consistently above the limit is motorways - my average is probably more like 80. I should probably knock that on the head but really, 70 feels fucking slow and I have places to be.

Most people can just leave a few minutes earlier for a lot of journeys instead. Unless you're consistently doing long drives then it's really negligible to do 70 instead of 80, you're just costing yourself more in petrol and potentially causing yourself unnecessary stress.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3137
    tFB Trader
    Bucket said:
    I should probably knock that on the head but really, 70 feels fucking slow and I have places to be.
    If a member of your family was killed by a driver and they gave this as their reason for speeding, would that be acceptable to you?
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24262
    Strangefan said:

You get caught, that is all, I got to do a speed awareness course because I was doing 35 in a 30....insane 
    Why is that insane ?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • snakemanStoosnakemanStoo Frets: 1708
    VimFuego said:

I've been driving for 29 years now,

Are you not knackered?

I can generally drive for a few hours at a time at the most??
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom