I just love Paul Gilbert

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7751
Obviously we all know he can shred like few others on the planet, but what's been getting me recently is how, unlike almost any other super-virtuoso guitarist I am aware of, he has such an interest in writing songs, even simple songs, with lyrics that he writes and vocals that he sings. He has a lot of classic pop influence - in fact, it's probably his primary influence, which you might find strange. I hear shades of Cheap Trick, Todd Rundgren, Queen etc. Let's not forget he also wrote the fantastic Mr Big single "Green Tinted Sixties Mind", the closest thing to a pop song they ever had (apart from To Be With You, obviously).

His sense of humour comes through a lot as well, in a lyrical sense but also musically - he'll shoehorn a blazing fast solo into what was a simple, well-crafted pop song, just because he can. I love that. His playing is so much more than just shred as well - he has such a great feel and tone, plays like every note could be his last - and his vibrato is one of my favourites of any player. His voice is pretty good too - and distinctive.

The album "Burning Organ" has some great stuff on it.

There are some great tracks on "Vibrato" as well:

Oh, and he likes his ABBA too, like any right-thinking person should.

What a dude.
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    I agree - he's a talented musician and a versatile player, and seems a genuinely nice guy. He can take some unusual approaches, such as speaking into the pickups or using a drill but he makes it work within the context of the song.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I've never entirely gelled with his music, but he's a fab guy all round. I saw/met him at a clinic once, I love his version of the Spice Girls 2 become 1 with the guitar solo from Stairway to Heaven!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    A great player. I'm as impressed with his encyclopedic knowledge of songs as much as his technique. Also, comes across as a nice guy.

But it's as frustrating as hell that I can't get anywhere near his picking skills.
    It's not a competition.
  • Saw this the other day. I know it's an oxymoron, but tasteful shredding? 

• SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    The "United States" album he did with Freddie Nelson has some fantastic songs.
    It's like a heavier Sheer Heart Attack era Queen.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    +1 on United States. 
    Burning Organ also awesome. 
    I prefer his Racer X stuff - I'm not into his whole blues thing right now. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26577
    Everything he does is awesome, apart from one thing - his genre-definition sucks when it comes to "heavy metal". His definition of such appears to be 80s soft rock.
    <space for hire>