I am done buying camera equipment this year.

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    RobDavies said:
    Blimey.  I thought I was being extravagant buying a used Nikkor 50mm f1.4 for £150.....

Actually it's for my son who's doing a photography course at college.   His main subject is live music and has really struggled with the light levels and kit lens that came with his Nikon D5100, so I thought I'd give him half a chance with the Nikkor.   

The ceiling in terms of prices for cameras are as expensive if not more than guitars.  They are very comparable.  The difference is with cameras it is very much technology driven so you can get lots of bargains if you buy used as you have done.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDavies said:
    Blimey.  I thought I was being extravagant buying a used Nikkor 50mm f1.4 for £150.....

Actually it's for my son who's doing a photography course at college.   His main subject is live music and has really struggled with the light levels and kit lens that came with his Nikon D5100, so I thought I'd give him half a chance with the Nikkor.   

have you got him the 'D' version? if so it will not AF on his 5100
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited April 2017
    RaymondLin said:
    I'm just thinking where do I go from here.
    BPCC
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • To be fair you've got the kit to cover most eventualities, but you are missing one thing. 

A big arse reflector/diffuser and someone to hold it! D

I've got one of those too and it folds up. Lol

I've got a couple of 80cm ones but could do with a huge one and a willing assistant... 

boogieman said:
    With respect, I don't believe you! 
    Yeah me neither. Camera stuff is even more addictive than guitar gear. 

5D4 x 2
    20/1.4
    24/1.4
    35/1.4
    45/2.8 TSE
    50/1.4
    85/1.2
    100/2.8 macro IS
    135/2.0
    16-35/2.8
    24-70/2.8

600 EX-RT x 4

also have a 2 bodies Fuji set up for travel with 23/35/56 mm lenses.

Manfrotto 055 pro tripod
    Manfrotto monopod
    some carbon fibre compact travel tripod
    Lee filters with a graduate gradient and big stopper

Profoto octobox (I might get one more I guess?)

the only thing i would be interested in is the 14/1.8 but it has no release date or the 70/200 2.8 Mk2 but I would never use it.

200mm 1.8 ;) 
    I looked into that, it's easier finding a 59 Les Paul.

Lol :D

The 2.8 is apparently brilliant, and much more affordable! To be honest for a tight headshot you'd need to stop down a bit anyway, 200mm 2.8 is pretty much the minimum depth of field you need to get enough in focus, but for a full body, super compressed shot that 1.8 must be amazing. 

Derrel ho-shing on YouTube has one... It's absolutely massive! 
    To be fair you've got the kit to cover most eventualities, but you are missing one thing. 

A big arse reflector/diffuser and someone to hold it! D

I've got one of those too and it folds up. Lol

I've got a couple of 80cm ones but could do with a huge one and a willing assistant... 

I looked into that, it's easier finding a 59 Les Paul.

Lol :D

The 2.8 is apparently brilliant, and much more affordable! To be honest for a tight headshot you'd need to stop down a bit anyway, 200mm 2.8 is pretty much the minimum depth of field you need to get enough in focus, but for a full body, super compressed shot that 1.8 must be amazing. 

Derrel ho-shing on YouTube has one... It's absolutely massive! 
    I wouldn't get the 200 Prime, that seems pointless when you can get a 70-200 zoom with IS also at 2.8.  

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    boogieman said:

5D4 x 2
    20/1.4
    24/1.4
    35/1.4
    45/2.8 TSE
    50/1.4
    85/1.2
    100/2.8 macro IS
    135/2.0
    16-35/2.8
    24-70/2.8

600 EX-RT x 4

Manfrotto 055 pro tripod
    Manfrotto monopod

the only thing i would be interested in is the 14/1.8 but it has no release date or the 70/200 2.8 Mk2 just to complete it up to 200mm but I would never use it. Or the MP-E might be fun...or a Patzval lens?
    You could buy a guitar?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    RobDavies said:

It's the 50mm f1.4G AF-S.... I did a bit of research and it should work with the D5100 as the AF motor is in the lens....
  • @RaymondLin I tried that petzval from lomo. Wasn't impressed... The swirly thing would be great if the bokeh didn't look so bad otherwise! Horses for courses mind...

RobDavies said:
    RobDavies said:

It's the 50mm f1.4G AF-S.... I did a bit of research and it should work with the D5100 as the AF motor is in the lens....

That's a great lens for twice the cost... Bargain! 
    @RaymondLin I tried that petzval from lomo. Wasn't impressed... The swirly thing would be great if the bokeh didn't look so bad otherwise! Horses for courses mind...

What attracts me to it is the crazy bokeh but then I also realise crazy bokeh is also distracting from the subject.  I just can't bring myself to spend £400 on something I might use 3 times.
  • @RaymondLin I tried that petzval from lomo. Wasn't impressed... The swirly thing would be great if the bokeh didn't look so bad otherwise! Horses for courses mind...

What attracts me to it is the crazy bokeh but then I also realise crazy bokeh is also distracting from the subject.  I just can't bring myself to spend £400 on something I might use 3 times.

It's incredibly distracting - the swirly is nice, but it's the actual... I don't know... Buzziness of it. 

If it was swirly *and* smooth I'd go for it. 

To be honest, most people will see shots and think it's cool, but it's quite unpleasant and (sacrilege though it may be) careful use of radial blur can simulate the look in photoshop but with the lovely smooth blur of *any* other 85mm lens... Let alone your stunning too end glass! 
    I'm a bokeh whore, and always looking for the next fix, something different.  I think about doing the Brenizer method, I once used nothing but my 45 TSE.  I read a blog a long time ago where a tog had to shoot a wedding in superb short notice, and besides he didn't charge his batteries so was like Russian roulette with the juice, he had also sent most of his lenses in to CPS for service.  He was forced to shoot the job with a 45/TSE and a 70-200.  What I'm trying to say is the look achieved was very unique and sometimes I like the challenge of something like that.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6130
    tFB Trader
    What made you choose the 20mm art over the 24mm art lens? I ask because I have the 50mm prime and am toying with this wide lens but can't decide between the 24 and 20
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    ThorpyFX said:
    What made you choose the 20mm art over the 24mm art lens? I ask because I have the 50mm prime and am toying with this wide lens but can't decide between the 24 and 20
    Because I already have the Canon 24/1.4 mkII.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    You can have some 'bokeh fun' by playing around with masks in front of the lens too.

Either use a clear / UV filter of empty ring, or a slot in like the Cokin system.  You can create a minimal set of diaphragm blades equivalent, although obviously not in the same plane in the lens as the proper diaphragm, or use other shapes.  Try the donut highlights of a catadioptric (mirror lens) with a central blank, or use a diferent shape for creatively shaped out of focus highlights.  You can vary the effect with focal length and aperture.  If you try it, so let me know what you think.  Lots of fun IMHO  :)

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2349
    tFB Trader
    boogieman said:

5D4 x 2
    20/1.4
    24/1.4
    35/1.4
    45/2.8 TSE
    50/1.4
    85/1.2
    100/2.8 macro IS
    135/2.0
    16-35/2.8
    24-70/2.8

600 EX-RT x 4

Manfrotto 055 pro tripod
    Manfrotto monopod

the only thing i would be interested in is the 14/1.8 but it has no release date or the 70/200 2.8 Mk2 just to complete it up to 200mm but I would never use it. Or the MP-E might be fun...or a Patzval lens?

Okay, so you got lots of toy cameras and toy lenses now go out and buy a Leica or a Hasselblad. 

Only joking, but Hasselblad are still just about the ultimate camera.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6130
    tFB Trader
    ThorpyFX said:
    ok, is the 4mm difference worth it?
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    ThorpyFX said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    ok, is the 4mm difference worth it?
    4mm is quite a lot in the wide end, the difference between 20 to 24 is much more noticeable than say 45 to 50.

I'd say it's worth it because of the look and different to my 24, but I'm picky as hell through and the variety helps me keep my photos fresh.
    Well, that lasted 18 days.  The 35/1.4 came in stock in refurb store.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801

Did you take that on timer, facing a mirror?
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768

Excellent! Cartier-Bresson classic, just needs black tape all over it.