Bad Batch of EB Slinkys?

What's Hot
Rock_ZorroRock_Zorro Frets: 7
edited April 2017 in Guitar
I opened a packet of EB Super Slinky strings today to find the .016 string was entirely black. All the other strings in the sealed packet were fine - no signs of any discolouration.

A quick Google and I found a thread on the EB forums with a photo showing exactly the same for a set of super slinkys purchased at around the same time, March of this year. 

http://forums.ernieball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31633&d=1490354616

The discolouration I believe is black rust: ‘a thin, black film which is the result of oxidation in a low oxygen environment.’

I was wondering if there might be a bad batch at the moment. I’ve not had any problems with EB strings before and I’d like to continue using them.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    Did you buy them from  a legit seller?
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    Magnetite oxidation. 
  • Rock_ZorroRock_Zorro Frets: 7
    edited April 2017
    Did you buy them from  a legit seller?
    Amazon, sold by Amazon not a third party vendor. I find it curious two people can have the same problem with the same sets of strings at the same time. I wondered if anyone else had. Link to the other thread on EB forums, post #10 specifically.

If anyone does have sets of Super Slinkys purchased in March I’d suggest checking them now so there is still opportunity to return them if they are bad. I was half way through restringing when I found the bad string!

* Mods remove link if not allowed. Ta.
  • I was expecting you to say they only lasted five minutes of play, but that's normal for eb strings :) 

That's very weird. Definitely get in touch with Ernie ball, they'll want to know. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I switched to slinkys from D’addario a while ago. I’ll be trying Rotosound pinks for my next few changes. If there are quality control problems with EB strings they probably know about it anyway.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    I was expecting you to say they only lasted five minutes of play, but that's normal for eb strings :) 

This
    Red ones are better. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I switched to slinkys from D’addario a while ago. I’ll be trying Rotosound pinks for my next few changes. If there are quality control problems with EB strings they probably know about it anyway.

There's your problem, right there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Whatever brand is mentioned you can always find someone to say Oh, but they only last 10 minutes, so I don’t pay much attention to those sort of comments. For the different makes of non-coated strings I’ve used I’ve not noticed any huge difference in longevity between any of them. I have encountered some specific problems however. I had a number of D’addario wound strings let go of their ball ends, for example, which is why I switched to EB’s.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I've changed to EB 11's recently and I must say I'm happier with them over D'Addario
  • I got my Rotosound strings yesterday. First set of strings I’ve seen which come packaged in plastic foil and have a small sachet of silica gel too. Which shows someone has thought about the problem of keeping strings fresh in the packet.

Well done Rotosound, back of the class EB, for now.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Whatever brand is mentioned you can always find someone to say Oh, but they only last 10 minutes, so I don’t pay much attention to those sort of comments. For the different makes of non-coated strings I’ve used I’ve not noticed any huge difference in longevity between any of them. I have encountered some specific problems however. I had a number of D’addario wound strings let go of their ball ends, for example, which is why I switched to EB’s.

I've found the opposite to be true, D'addarios last a lot longer for me, and I've had a couple of EB's come apart at the ball end.

I also made sure the Ernie Balls weren't fakes, and when I contacted them about it, they didn't really care about the issue. 

D'Addario on the other hand sent me a high e and a whole new set of Acoustic strings when the high e string broke during restringing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    To be honest Ernie Ball strings are just dogshit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Lew said:
    Hmm. 
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 412
    Lew said:
         Perhaps you are reffering to the coated Ernie Ball's ?
      D'addario's dont stink !
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12646
    A bad batch?

You mean they made some good ones?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    again it seems popular on this forum to bash EB strings, but i've honeslty never had a bad set in the 24yrs ive been playing guitar. They last me ages and sound the same every time.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    grungebob said:
    again it seems popular on this forum to bash EB strings, but i've honeslty never had a bad set in the 24yrs ive been playing guitar. They last me ages and sound the same every time.
    I don't think it's simply a 'fashion' to bash EBs. As I said earlier, until '96 I used nothing else - but once I tried D'Addarios, there was no going back. They simply sound better (to my ears) and last longer with my body chemistry. 

I accept there here is a level of personal taste/experience on the issue - but I doubt those who have had negative experiences with EBs are making it up. 
    grungebob said:
    I don't think it's simply a 'fashion' to bash EBs. As I said earlier, until '96 I used nothing else - but once I tried D'Addarios, there was no going back. They simply sound better (to my ears) and last longer with my body chemistry. 

I accept there here is a level of personal taste/experience on the issue - but I doubt those who have had negative experiences with EBs are making it up. 
    You may be right, it's not like I'm keeping track or anything but to my recollection every time there's a string thread the majority seem to slag EB's off. 
    I don't have a dog in this fight, I don't have shares or own the company I just think it's weird.  D'adds get universal love it seems. 
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    I always thought EB strings were alright, until I tried D'addario strings (free with a mag subscription) and realised exactly how shit the EB Slinky strings actually are. I've also used Rotosound and they're miles better than EB, but D'addario every time for me now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom