Custom amp build + NGD

What's Hot
DaneffDaneff Frets: 42
edited April 2017 in Amps
A little background first...

Around 2009 me and a friend were playing the online game Fallout Online 2238. This was a fan made multiplayer mod of the original Fallout 1 and 2 games. A soul crushingly hard game full of russians and polish clans. The difficulty of this game made for high stakes moments and close allegiances though. On this game I met a chap from Finland who started regularly playing with us. This mans name was Lauri, and since then we have been friends. I visited him in Finland in 2013 and now after years of badgering he has finally relented to coming over to the UK and we're going to build an amp as that is his profession.

So we ordered a whole bunch of stuff with him sending me a thousand links, miraculously we managed to rememebr 99% of the parts we needed. There may hav been a slight miscalculation on the amount of tolex and grill cloth needed....

The OD channel of the amp is based on the Friedman JJ100 OD which I currently own and like very much. The JJ100 of course is based off of old Jose Arredondo hot rodded marshall mods. The clean channel is based off of a Fender Black Face to Lauri's design as I'm abit clueless with good clean tone most of the time. He's not into "satanic" amps as he likes to call them ususally. His favourite amp of all time is the Fender 5e3 Tweed Delux. So I think this was abit of a learning experience for him to. Whilst he listens to Neil Young and Chuck Berry, I tend to go for more modern rock/metal/prog stuff. The polar opposites are qute funny alot of the time.

I wanted the amp to be much smaller and lighter than the 100 watt beasts I've been using the last few years. So we put the amp power down to 50 Watts, which is still overkill but ohwell The "jj" switch or boost will also be foot switchable so kinda making it a 3 channel amp.

Lauri designed the PCB at home in Finland and ordered them. Have to buy in minimum quantities so got quite a few spare incase it all goes horribly wrong. Ordered some custom transformers from Toroidy, various parts and chassis from Tube Town, electronic components from TME.eu and faceplates from Schaeffe. Tubes from Hotrox and Transformers covers from Bangkok ebay.

I bought the basic tools like soldering station, multimeter etc. Everything else we beg, borrowed and stole.

(Soundclips/finished product a few posts down)

And so it begins!

Pre-amp and phase inverter starting to take shape.

Effects Loop

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DaneffDaneff Frets: 42
    edited April 2017
    Drilling the chassis after a great quest to find a stepped drill bit big enough without having to buy one for 30 quid. Luckily I have a few friends with better tools than me.

Valve sockets, potentiometres and faceplates fitted to chassis. Starting to look amp like!

Time to get making the shell. We're not going to win any awards for our wood work but it turned out pretty great for a bodge job! A trip to B&Q for cheapo wood and Over 9000 power sanding hours later.....

The dreaded tolexing! We managed ok for a first try. The cat managed to swipe her tail along the wet tolex glue so had to stop for 10 minutes to wash that out. She was surprisingly cooperative atleast.

Professional methods for attaching grill cloth....

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2017
    And now the finished product!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2017

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2017

Sound Samples

I gave recording some samples a bash today. Not an expert on that as i usually just use direct Axe FX to cut my skills out of the equation. Amps running through a Friedmann 4x12. Cranked as sensibly as one can in a bedroom without the police coming round. I used a ZOOM H6 hand held recorder infront of the amp with the x/y module ontop with a SE Electronics SE2000 to capture the room. Never used it before, pressed a few buttons and it worked I used my brand new PRS SE 277 Semi-hollow Baritone with stock P90 pickups tuned to B standard. I also used a PRS Tremonti with the super hot tremonti pickups in it for some standard tuning action. Also threw in a Boss DD6 delay pedal near the end to test the FX loop.

The recordings Ok, it's missing the warms and low end abit but ohwells. It'll give you an idea!

Clean Baritone
    http://ghr.fi/tube/danamp/Clean-Baritone.mp3

OD Baritone
    http://ghr.fi/tube/danamp/OD-Baritone.mp3

Tremonti Clean/OD
    http://ghr.fi/tube/danamp/Tremonti.mp3

Picks of the SE277. I ordered an older one in the translucent black colour from A&C Hamilton Music, unfortunately they couldnt find me one so offered me an excellent deal on the limited run wood finishes. Unfortunately the first guitar I got had an issue with the neck binding so back it went. The guys at A&C we're great at sourcing me another despite the limited number in existence. Top marks to them. So I ended up with this lovely thing. it's got the wide fat neck, along with the thick strings takes a little getting used to from the super slim tremonti. Its very, very nice (and light!) though. I have some bareknuckle pickups to put in it, but the stock ones are surprisingly excellent. Any hum in the sound clips comes from the P90s!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lovely! Nice story too. The world is a small place these days :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    Epic thread. Great looking build!
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    That's awesome!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Great work, nice back story :)