I'm tired of companies/sellers telling me what is and isn't a bargain...

What's Hot
Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
Isn't what is a bargain the opinion of the potential customer? 10% off is not a bargain, £30 off £800 because it's B-Stock doesn't make it a bargain, only played a handful of times so basically new, does not make it a used bargain, the best bargains don't need to proclaim themselves, they are snapped up on their own merits...

Discuss...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• absolutely. especially these days when prices are so easy to compare, it makes them look stupid when they proclaim this £600 guitar is a bargain,  at £2.50 less than everyone else is selling for
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7069
    Let me guess Jack - you've just received the same email as me from a local (to us) guitar superstore ? I like them in there, nice staff, good service and decent gear but if I get an email titled 'huge guitar sale' I'm disappointed when on reading it's just 10 pct off most of their guitar stuff
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Absolutely!!!! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    I like the "its had a neck break but its been fixed " but the seller doesnt think that should affect its value ads, real bargain ! :) 
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    edited April 2017
    Genuine bargains are a rare event nowadays. Most companies are working to specific margins.
    I did obtain a recent bargain last week when ordering a batman lego set from Argos. My number came up and moving towards the counter I was presented with a huge box. Instead of one Lego box the friendly shop assistant gave me a much larger cardboard box containing 8 batman Lego sets. Thank you very much as I left the store completely satisfied. Now that's a bargain as I wasn't aware of this great Argos offer. 

On topic I agree do we live in a nation of idiots and people who lap this shit up?  The marketing campaigns from some companies are laughable I actively avoid them.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    We live in a world of very controlled pricing and frankly the so called 10% bargain was long factored in to the heavy original rrp.

retailers. Are slow to catch on that 10% is a number people are totally immune to and largely ignore. yet they still use it like its some magic sales bullet.

the world we live
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Well it's hardly a new phenomenon is it. As long as people have been selling stuff they've done this. Practically the first rule in sales and marketing, be it an Arkwright style corner shop or GAKs endless "mega deals". 
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    capo4th said:
    I did obtain a recent bargain last week when ordering a batman lego set from Argos. My number came up and moving towards the counter I was presented with a huge box. Instead of one Lego box the friendly shop assistant gave me a much larger cardboard box containing 8 batman Lego sets. Thank you very much as I left the store completely satisfied. Now that's a bargain as I wasn't aware of this great Argos offer. 
    Sounds more like you were Robin the place.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Aside from deals that might result in a community service order, bargains are hard to come by nowadays. With the web being the great information equaliser it is difficult for companies to differentiate on price alone. I think consumers want everything discounted all the time and events like black Friday distort the market further. I generally do not bother with sales now as it is probably the stuff that nobody else wanted after they have bought with sign up bonuses discount vouchers, special events etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Jack_ said:
    capo4th said:
    Sounds more like you were Robin the place.
    You win Pun of the Week for that one...