Harry Styles

What's Hot
ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
First solo single - Sign Of The Times. No, not a Prince cover…

I will be honest and admit I quite like it - I've probably been conditioned by my daughter's enthusiasm for One Direction which I've picked up on to some extent ;) - but it's definitely quite a departure from the predictable ex-1D stuff the others have done so far and easily the most interesting.

But something keeps nagging at me - I think it's ripped off something. But what?!! I keep nearly being able to put my finger on it, but not quite. Bowie? Elton John? Lennon? Something else from that period? Or maybe it isn't quite, but just hints at it closely enough to make you think it is, like one of those annoying deliberately copyright-avoiding ad tracks…

I'm probably losing my mind, I know.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    A quick listen and it sounds do generic it's probably playing tricks on your ears. I hear very little that reminds me of any particular song along with hearing every slow song ever. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    A quick listen and I got Rihanna : stay, a little bit of Lionel Ritchie's Hello, one line that sounded like 'you can't wear the door when you're in the sky' and lots of very strong general eau-d'Adele.

It does sound like he can sing though.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    ICBM said:

I will be honest and admit I quite like it - I've probably been conditioned by my daughter's enthusiasm for One Direction which I've picked up on to some extent ;) - but it's definitely quite a departure from the predictable ex-1D stuff the others have done so far and easily the most interesting.

But something keeps nagging at me - I think it's ripped off something. But what?!! I keep nearly being able to put my finger on it, but not quite. Bowie? Elton John? Lennon? Something else from that period? Or maybe it isn't quite, but just hints at it closely enough to make you think it is, like one of those annoying deliberately copyright-avoiding ad tracks…

Badfinger - Baby Blue.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774
    proggy said:

Badfinger - Baby Blue.

How fucking cool does Kenny Rogers look at the start of that clip?
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    proggy said:
    ICBM said:

Badfinger - Baby Blue.

It's not the current single that sounds like Badfingers Baby Blue, it's another turgid effort called Ever Since New York.
  • jimkehoejimkehoe Frets: 208
    Reminded me at the beginning of Jack Savoretti - Catapult.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    proggy said:

Badfinger - Baby Blue.
    Definitely not, but thank you for reminding me that my music collection is lacking any Badfinger, and that needs to be remedied…

jimkehoe said:
    Reminded me at the beginning of Jack Savoretti - Catapult.
    No, it's something much older than that I think.

Keep the suggestions coming!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    I heard the same thing. I think the first line is very similar to Adele's "Someone Like You".
    It's not the first line, it's something in the chorus I think. The slidy guitar part might have something to do with it, but I'm not quite sure.

It's a little similar to another Badfinger song, much better known from the Harry Nilsson version - Without You. I'm still not sure that's quite it though. It's bugging my wife too, she thinks it's Lennon but can't say exactly which song...

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    The verse sounds somehwat like Cat Power ''The Greatest'
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    I listened to it to see if I could place it - but after 30 seconds I wanted to die.

What a dismal piece of music....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Yeah, it's familiar. It's a bland song trying hard to be interesting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Elton Rocket man...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • ICBM said:

Yeah, heard it without knowing who it was and thought it was great. Quite a big sound and nice production imo. Can't quite put my finger on what it sounds like tho...
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    spark240 said:
    Elton Rocket man...
    There's that musical cue at the start that's straight from Rocket Man, but I don't hear it in the melody. It's annoyingly familiar, couldn't be Jackson Brown, Running on empty era? He's cute and harmless (Styles that is).
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5850
    I think it's a great track as well, at first I thought it had a bit of a Pink Floyd vibe with some of the Guitar work, but after more listens, it does seem to have a bit of a lot of stuff I can't put my finger on. Maybe even some 70's Hollies or Alan Parsons Project as well. Damn good track anyway.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    Wife is at least partly right (of course) - John Lennon, Isolation. I admit I didn't really get it until I listened to them back to back.

I think there's also an element of Bowie's Life On Mars in there somewhere, which I hadn't picked up on before. 

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22111
    It sounds like fucking Embrace. It's the musical equivalent of looking at the water bottle fridge of Foxtons in London. 

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It sounds like fucking Embrace. It's the musical equivalent of looking at the water bottle fridge of Foxtons in London. 

Ahhh, yes Embrace. Fucking love them
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It sounds like fucking Embrace. It's the musical equivalent of looking at the water bottle fridge of Foxtons in London.
    Ahhh, yes Embrace.
    I'd forgotten about them. The fact that I didn't instantly hate the Harry Styles song probably means the resemblance is only slight...