John Lennon MSG Live with Elton 1974, what amp?

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13932
edited April 2017 in Amps
Fender Twin or Deluxe?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13932

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72203
    Twin.

A Deluxe doesn't have tilt legs, corner protectors or castor sockets.

The size can be deceptive on a big stage too. A Twin isn't actually that big.

You wouldn't mic a Deluxe there either ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Interesting, it's a quite distorted sound he gets so it's cooking, although would probably be lost in the vastness of Madison Square gardens, looks like he's in channel 1.

Hard to tell if it's blackface or silverface. Could it be his 'rooftop' twin? He got a distorted sound with that too on the roof.

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    I recall reading an interview with Elton where he described John arriving onstage and not knowing where the guitar lead was supposed to go in the amp. He was amazed that John could have got so far in his career and still not known how to plug a guitar in.
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    May also be a Pro Reverb, they are hard to tell apart with this quality of photo, and share many of the same external features of the Twin - but in any event great to see him playing and enjoying himself, IMHO 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72203
    Pretty sure it's a Silverface Twin. I don't think the Pro has castor sockets that early (only when it went to 70W in 1976, but I may be wrong), and even at that pic resolution there seems to be too much space between the two sets of jacks for the earlier Pro's three knobs. There's no underline on the logo so it's later than a '72 - my guess is that it would be brand new at the time.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    JezWynd said:
    I recall reading an interview with Elton where he described John arriving onstage and not knowing where the guitar lead was supposed to go in the amp. He was amazed that John could have got so far in his career and still not known how to plug a guitar in.
    He was probably off his face and couldn't see the amp let alone the plug socket, or even the stage.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 782
    Elton John looks old even then.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    JezWynd said:
    I doubt that is a literal comment as there are videos of the Beatles/him using Fenders combos them in the studio
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    57Deluxe said:
    JezWynd said:
    I doubt that is a literal comment as there are videos of the Beatles/him using Fenders combos them in the studio
    Wasn't that what the men in white coats were for?...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    I loved Lennon - the audience response is a real 'hairs on the arms' moment. Given the length of time since The Beatles toured, that must have been an incredible thing to witness.
    Sassafras said:
    JezWynd said:
    He was probably off his face and couldn't see the amp let alone the plug socket, or even the stage.

That's a crass comment, can't tell if you're being facetious or serious.

His performance was very good, for those 3 songs, which sadly was his last live performance. He sounded just like the Lennon of old, but was clearly very, very nervous.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28284
    Disappointed. Not John Lennon with the Michael Schenker Group :(
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom