Before I go dumping money into a Fender amp, how hard to make from a kit?

What's Hot
I've got some hobby soldering experience (brass model kits, rewiring various guitars), and am broadly familiar with electronics but not at any real depth. I'm looking at a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe to make sweet love-music alongside my Marshall-style map - in an ideal world though, a Tweed Blues Jr with some kind of attenuation would be much better. Thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    I built a 5E3 deluxe from a Mission kit. It turned out great and took me all of three Sunday afternoons. It wasn't really a cheap option though as I probably spent as much as buying a used one.

It was a great experience though.

Rob
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    Have a look at modulus amplification

They do nice kits and they're a simple build if you follow the layout

I made an 18watt plexi years ago and went from there into other builds

That amp is still going strong and a friend has it now 

It's addictive so be warned
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    edited April 2017
    These do look very tempting tough not cheap. I also would have little use for them at home due to how loud these all are but still...
    I would caution though that tube amps are high power high voltage devices that can easily kill you or burn through your fingers irreparably even when off due to the capacitors, so learning about safe handling is crucial.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    You probably won't be able to find a kit for something as relatively complex as a Hotrod or a Blues Junior - most of them are for simple vintage amps like the 5E3 Deluxe.

I wouldn't do a Blues Junior anyway… the Hotrod Deluxe is so far in a different league it's untrue - and you can pick them up second hand for under £400 quite easily.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Ah ha - so as a project maybe, but not realistically as a sound financial alternative. Thank you!
    Kits are a good way of getting a handwired vintage amp which would otherwise have 'vintage value' attached to it if it was an original, and especially if you want a slightly modded version of that which you probably wouldn't want to do to an original (eg better tone stack, master volume or whatever), but not really sensible if you're just building a modern amp. It's cheaper to just let the factory do it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    And with a self build you'll be very unlikely to recoup your outlay when you come to sell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I see @MtB ; Should I look into 5E3 then, as @ICBM mentioned?
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Suggest you google "5e3 clone", then select Videos, and listen to some on Youtube to make sure you like the sound. I'd say the HRD is more of a Fender Blackface clean than a 5e3 Tweed sound.
    Chalky said:

I'd say the HRD is more of a Fender Blackface clean than a 5e3 Tweed sound.
    The clean channel may be a bit more BF-like, but in fact I have been able to nail the sound of a 5E3 (clone with a master volume fitted, admittedly - but testing it at a fair volume with the MV most of the way up) with a HRD using the Drive channel when A/B'd side by side. This is partly why I don't understand the general hatred for the HRD drive channel…

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    If you fit a variable valve reduction they work fantastic on cathode biased amps like the little fender or 18watt Marshall type
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    edited April 2017
    I have VVR fitted to my 5e3, which makes it the perfect amp for both home use and band practices. These are a (IMO) a good amp to build, as there are lots of well documented mods that can be made. 

You could keep to the original design and Jensen speaker; brighten the sound and increase the volume by fitting a Celestion Blue; tighten the bottom end flubbiness by changing the value of the coupling caps; increasing the headroom by adding a negative feedback switch; etc, etc.

https://robrobinette.com/5e3_Modifications.htm

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Build a kit 5e3. You will learn a lot and the step from there to building a Dumble clone is very small. And a Dumble clone will knock a HRDx into the long grass. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_LPaul_L Frets: 52
    From experience even a simple looking kit has a deceptive learning curve, especially if you want to get everything neat and tidy and looking professional. It won't have any real resale value but the value comes from what you learn which is often surprising more than you think. I know advice is like arseholes but one thing I will say is buy a pair of heavy duty Marigold gloves. At some point you will need to fire up your creation and go in with your multimeter probes which is a disconcerting experience. 
    Maintained it for 20 years. This old guitar's had 17 new necks and 14 new bodies in its time.