Amplifier services in North Yorkshire/County Durham

Hi there. 
Just picked up a peavey TNT 115 Sheffield for my girlfriend from gumtree for £40 and when we've brought it home the pots are super crackly, unsure if they'll need replacing or cleaning but due to only spending a little on the amp I think it'll be worth a service to get everything looked at and checked. 

Anyway ay can anybody reccomend someone to go to for this in or around the North Yorkshire or County Durham areas as I seem to be struggling to find anyone. 

Thank you! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    If you can operate a screwdriver I'd seriously recommend doing it yourself - they're not difficult amps to work on. All you need is to undo the chassis and squirt some Servisol contact cleaner into the pots. These old Peaveys are built like a nuclear bunker and that's pretty much the only thing that goes wrong with them, along with the FX loop (and/or Preamp out/Power amp in jacks, depending on model) making poor contact, which just needs the same treatment.

Check the mains plug is wired properly and that the cable isn't damaged where it goes into the back of the amp (quite common) and you're good to go.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks for that! I was contemplating it then I seen if you accidentally touch the capacitors etc they can kill you so was a bit put off haha! 

Ill order some servisol now. 

Cheers @ICBM ;
    Thanks for that! I was contemplating it then I seen if you accidentally touch the capacitors etc they can kill you so was a bit put off haha!
    No, in a solid-state amp of this sort of power the only danger is on the mains side of the transformer - the amp side of the circuit is all fairly low-voltage stuff and the caps discharge very quickly on power-off anyway, so as long as it's disconnected from the mains it's totally safe.

You're right to be cautious about valve amps though, some do indeed have caps which can store hundreds of volts well after the amp is off and cold.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Aw that's a relief then, thanks for that! best to be safe than sorry ha..or just man up!

@ICBM
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    Phil Mathews at fence houses is excellent .
  • Went to maplin and bought some servisol super 10 today after work, just finished putting it all back together and got to say, it's worked a treat! Not even the slightest of a scratch  on any of the pots. £5 well spent! 

Thanks @ICBM ;
    Went to maplin and bought some servisol super 10 today after work, just finished putting it all back together and got to say, it's worked a treat! Not even the slightest of a scratch  on any of the pots. £5 well spent! 
    Excellent. They really are more or less bombproof, just need occasional minor servicing!

The bad news is that given the weight of these things you may soon regret buying one for your girlfriend… since I suspect I know who will end up carrying it :).

• Definitely, we're so pleased. All in all we've got it for £40 + £5 for servisol and works spot on now!

oh yes, that's already happened, from picking it up yesterday to bringing it into the house, I think the next step is a good set of castors then she'll be good to go!

@ICBM
  • Phil Mathews at fence houses is excellent .
    I need someone to repair an amp - where abouts is he based? I googled and couldn't find anything?