New bedroom amp day

What's Hot
underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
edited April 2017 in Guitar
I say bedroom it's a basement and I don't sleep in there.

Do you think 100W will be enough?  

[IMG]http://i68.tinypic.com/2dv3onq.jpg[/IMG]

To be fair I've tried various small valve amps for home use and the only one that made me want to continue playing was an SL-5.

The power scaling on the AFD though means it's actually more practical than the SL-5 for very low volumes. Maybe ICBM was right when said he prefers big amps for low volume over practice size amps.

Wicked sounding amp, so clear, even with lots of gain the note clarity it fantastic. 

Big thanks to @mendel and it was a pleasure meeting you (briefly) and to @olafgarten who pointed me to the ad on reverb that led back to a member of this place.

Edit: why is it so hard to post pictures on here now, it use to work just fine.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    You're gonna need a 4x12 though.. 

;) 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    usedtobe said:
    You're gonna need a 4x12 though.. 

;) 

My next post was going to be 2x12 or 4x12 :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mendelmendel Frets: 24
    Cheers @underdog . My pleasure also. Enjoy rocking out!

That power scaling makes a fine volume control. I use a rockcrusher with the 100-Watter I have left so I can have the amp working properly.

mendel said:
    Cheers @underdog . My pleasure also. Enjoy rocking out!

That power scaling makes a fine volume control. I use a rockcrusher with the 100-Watter I have left so I can have the amp working properly.

Hope you had a good drive back, mine wasn't so bad and got back in time to earn some money at work. Hope to bump in to you at GnR in June.
  • Nice work :)

whats the bottom end like? I sold my SL5 as there wasn't enough low end 
    edited April 2017
    Nice work

Solid, very solid D Had to alter the neck pickup height on one of my Les Paul's to tame it a bit. It's an incredibly full sound, even at a volume quiet enough to talk over it's very "airy" if that makes sense, like each string and note is heard rather than it all mushed together.

So many excellent rock sounds in it, not just the AFD one, though that one is very easy to find on it 

I really like the SL-5 but found it needed decent volume (not loud but loud enough to wake sleeping kids) even on 1watt to get that sound from, which isn't great at night when I want to play it needed to be very quiet so ended up using a pocket pod then. 
  • underdog said:
    Nice work

Solid, very solid D Had to alter the neck pickup height on one of my Les Paul's to tame it a bit. It's an incredibly full sound, even at a volume quiet enough to talk over it's very "airy" if that makes sense, like each string and note is heard rather than it all mushed together.

So many excellent rock sounds in it, not just the AFD one, though that one is very easy to find on it 

I really like the SL-5 but found it needed decent volume (not loud but loud enough to wake sleeping kids) even on 1watt to get that sound from, which isn't great at night when I want to play it needed to be very quiet so ended up using a pocket pod then. 
    Sounds ideal :)

Looking around the used prices seem to have risen dramatically during last 12 months 
    underdog said:
    Nice work

Sounds ideal :)

Looking around the used prices seem to have risen dramatically during last 12 months 

Yes to silly levels in some cases (2k plus on eBay listings) but I got a good deal from a fellow forum dweller on this one, and I'm sure there are deals out there. Part of my motivation on buying this was getting one before £2000 becomes the acceptable price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mendelmendel Frets: 24

Hope you had a good drive back, mine wasn't so bad and got back in time to earn some money at work. Hope to bump in to you at GnR in June.
    Great and all good my end also. Defo see you on the NIghtrain there and then!
    Sorry to sound like a proud parent but what an amp, my junior sounds huge and so angry through it, neck pickup on either Les Paul will sustain for an eternity. Brilliant.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom