SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD - 1975 Gibson S-1

What's Hot
merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
edited August 2017 in Guitars £
Like the Ovation Viper, I'd been chasing one for years and found this corker, and it's in amazing shape considering its 42 odd years. This one boasts some great Strat sounds without being a Strat and with the Gibson scale, which is much more suitable for me. Comes in its original Gibson chainsaw case, in used but good shape. 

£750. 

Offers 5 really usable sounds, toggle switch offers just the bridge, and the four-way rotary offers in position 1 middle/neck, 2 bridge/middle, 3 all three at once (chunky) and 4 neck and bridge out of phase. 

It's had a really good quality refret and plays well. Sounds great. 

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845
    That's lovely 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 833
    Blimey had one of them back in the day!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    It is a curious hybrid of a guitar: a flying V headstock, an LPJ body and SC pickups.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6674
    prowla said:
    It is a curious hybrid of a guitar: a flying V headstock, an LPJ body and SC pickups.
    Yes it is but somehow it works! The pickups are designed by Bill Lawrence and the wiring makes it come forth with some really good strat-type sounds. 
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Ooh, I played this when @merlin brought it over to try an amp I was selling.  Very tempting!

One question though - is there a control cavity access plate on the back, or do you have to take the scratchplate off?  I can imagine some wiring mods to give neck-only and bridge-neck in phase.....

Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    Trude said:
    Ooh, I played this when @merlin brought it over to try an amp I was selling.  Very tempting!

One question though - is there a control cavity access plate on the back, or do you have to take the scratchplate off?  I can imagine some wiring mods to give neck-only and bridge-neck in phase.....

The loom is attached to the scratchplate, like a Strat. I was tempted to fiddle with the wiring to give exactly the options you suggested. In fact, later versions came with the toggle bringing in just the neck pickup... in the end I decided to leave it, although I can't see it being a difficult mod. 
    Another gentle bump for this weird and wonderful guitar. 
    And fortnightly bump for the S-1. You know you want it...
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    Niiiiiiice
    And another and a small reduction in price..... now £795
    £750 c'mon....
    And sold off forum. Thanks to the forum and mods for the Felicity, whoever she is.