Rat Rebuild

Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
edited April 2017 in Making & Modding
I bought a broken Turbo Rat from the forum recently it had a problem with the volume pot where you couldn't hear anything until the last quarter of the pots rotation.  I replaced the pot then reflowed the solder on a few dodgy looking joints and it worked just fine but it was looking a bit rough and didn't sound as good as my old rat (wasn't built as well either).

I had been planning on building a rat clone anyway so thought I'd reuse the enclosure and build my perfect rat.  I built this on a Fuzzdog pcb with a clipping switch to go from regular rat to turbo, added a boss style power socket, optical switching and refinished the enclosure.  I'm really pleased with how this one turned out it sounds fantastic and is a lot quieter than turbo rat.  

I have a LM308 chip in here for the mojos but I back to backed it with an OP07 and couldn't really tell the difference.

Original Turbo Rat

Finished

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    Nicely done sir.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    Very nice :)
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    Nice! I need to give my old Rat a rebuild. It's been intermittent for years but finally gave up recently. I'll keep the original board in mine but change the rest
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    @stickyfiddle if it's switch related I can't recommend optical switching enough.  The switch feels much nicer to use, it's quieter and I've not any a single problem since I started using it unlike 3pdt. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    Adam_MD said:
    @stickyfiddle if it's switch related I can't recommend optical switching enough.  The switch feels much nicer to use, it's quieter and I've not any a single problem since I started using it unlike 3pdt. 
    Ya, mine's the standard "Rat bypass" with a DPDT but still true bypass, which I'm happy to retain. I'm hoping it's just a DC jack issue...

For a new-build that optical bypass looks great though. I assume it's basically achieving the same thing using an IC instead of the transistor/diode combo in the Rat circuit
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Ah I assumed you were using a 3pdt which is where I've had most problems with older builds.