Stolen gear, please keep eyes open

What's Hot
VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485

guess this is the right section, please move mods if not. Sean Lakeman and Kathyn Roberts had their car broken in to last night, in Petersfied Hamps, and the following gear stolen:

Please share.
Our car was broken into last night and most of our equipment, including Sean's guitars, have been stolen. We need a guitar + capo to make the show happen in Dorchester tonight.
We will post photos of the missing gear when we get home.
Thanks.
The following items were taken from the car park of The Premier Inn in Petersfield Hants. It happened at 3:30am this morning and there is CCTV footage of the theft. Police have been fully informed.

List of items stolen :
Martin 015 guitar (black hiscox artist hard case) serial 121337
Martin D28 guitar (white Calton hard case)
Silver Flute in blue hard case
Bose L1 Pa system base unit in black Bose case
Black peli style case full of pedals cables + x2 sure microphones (sm58beta + sm57beta)
Black x frame keyboard stand
Small Behirnger mixing desk in a soft black case
Black hard guitar stand case
Flute stand.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Rubbish news. Sean and Kathryn are great. 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Oh bugger will keep an eye out. 
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    Sad to hear :-( Have you posted on twitter the serial numbers models location etc? I don't do facebook as much but I'd guess that is even better? On both you could ask for anybody within location to retweet etc? Gotta be some local scum bag hasn't it? I have very very few followers on my 'public' twitter account but if you broadcast then reply back here I can then 'merge' with my 'non-public'.

Good Luck
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    I'm not on twitter, tho this is all round the folk social media world, thought I'd share it here as I guess there's a few guitary types from Portsmouth who may see something.

I've recently joined facebook group for South Wales. Facebook is supposed to be quite good for guitar sales and trades I've not got into it though yet. Anybody on FB within that region??
    *I've recently joined facebook group for South Wales* --> Guitar trading group is what I meant.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72305
    edited April 2017
    Sorry to hear about this. It makes me angry, and sad and a bit frustrated.

Angry that there are scumbags who will do this sort of thing - and people who will buy stolen goods, without which there would be no market for it… but also sad and frustrated because almost every single time you hear about things like this, the gear was stolen from a car or van parked overnight. There must be at least half a dozen similar threads here that I can remember. *Just don't do it*. I know it's a right pain to carry the gear into the hotel/wherever - but you need to, certainly for anything that's more than just a financial loss if it does get stolen, ie instruments. Also bear in mind that insurance may not pay out on a theft from an unattended vehicle even if it's locked, and the hotel's insurance will always specifically exclude it.

I know some people won't like me saying this - I'm not trying to blame the victim, it's just depressing how often it happens and people not learn to avoid it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 21reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    know what you mean, I am kinda surprised it don't happen more often TBH. Can't imagaine many musos get to a hotel after a gig and unload.

VimFuego said:
    know what you mean, I am kinda surprised it don't happen more often TBH. Can't imagaine many musos get to a hotel after a gig and unload.
    I'll leave amps and heavy stuff in a van and just have to hope for the best, but I've never left a guitar, or a pedalboard. Admittedly I haven't done the number of 'away gigs' that a lot of people do, or with as much to carry.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    I used to be lazy and not unload... till my mates had their entire loaded van nicked.

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    My every sympathy. But you live and learn. I hope there's some good news, and the gear is recovered sooner rather than later.

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    So many scumbags about....

BUT what on earth were they doing leaving guitars and gear on show, in a car, overnight??

Having toured both as an artist and a tour manager for years, I've gotten it in the neck more time than I can remember by making bands unload guitars, pedalboards, amp heads, snares and whatever else can be carried out of a splitter van and into a hotel room in the middle of the night after a gig. The only thing I'll leave in a van overnight anywhere are cabs and a traps case. It's not worth the risk.

I REALLY do feel for them but it could have been easily avoided.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    As I always say on these threads, people who steal musical instruments should have their hands chopped off....
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    edited April 2017 tFB Trader
    I don't wish to bang on about it but a quick true story.

Pal of mine plays in an AC/DC tribute, they play all over the UK. The guy who plays Malcolm used to pack his estate car, seats down, 2 x 4x12's on their backs with heads next to them and 2 x guitars in cases on the top. My pal told him numerous times to take the guitars with him when they stayed in hotels etc. His response was, "doesn't matter, they're insured".

Sure enough, they came out of a travelodge one morning to find his back window smashed and 2 Gretch Malcolm Young signature guitars missing.

It was only that the singer had the forethought to look up the local Cash Converter's number to ask them to be on the look out for the rather distinctive guitars that, low and behold, and by a stroke of unbelievable luck, the shop had two smack heads currently at the counter with 2 Gretch Malcolm Young Signature guitars trying to offload them for £50 a piece.

The guys were kept talking while the police were called, the band arrived at the store and, after varifying that he was the owner, he got his guitars back. Nothing but INCREDIBLE luck though.

These aren't musicians looking in other people's cars thinking "Oh, that looks like an R9 case, I'll make good money on that", it's chancers who couldn't give a shit if it was a 1959 Les Paul standard or a 1995 Encore Strat, it's just easy pickings that might manage to scrap £50 together for their next hit/beer.

Don't leave your gear unattended folks.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited April 2017
    miserneil said:
    So many scumbags about....

BUT what on earth were they doing leaving guitars and gear on show, in a car, overnight??

Having toured both as an artist and a tour manager for years, I've gotten it in the neck more time than I can remember by making bands unload guitars, pedalboards, amp heads, snares and whatever else can be carried out of a splitter van and into a hotel room in the middle of the night after a gig. The only thing I'll leave in a van overnight anywhere are cabs and a traps case. It's not worth the risk.

I REALLY do feel for them but it could have been easily avoided.
    +1 - I'd echo similar sentiments.  I feel for them of course, and yes the thieves are scumbags - but c'mon, leaving all that valuable gear in a car over-night (even covered, or in a boot) simply isn't sensible and you're just asking for heartbreak.   
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ICBM said:
    VimFuego said:
    I'll leave amps and heavy stuff in a van and just have to hope for the best, but I've never left a guitar, or a pedalboard. Admittedly I haven't done the number of 'away gigs' that a lot of people do, or with as much to carry.
    I have to agree. Guitars and board always come off the van. I have no idea why anybody would leave a guitar in a car overnight and expect it to be there the next day. 
    Not that I don't sympathise, but it's daft to take needless risks.

The white Calton case will have made it even more visible unless it was in the boot or under a shutter - but at least is pretty rare and distinctive, so there's some hope that this will be traced.

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    I really don't have any sympathy. My dad's workvan got broke into many years ago so every night he'd lug all his kit, drills, saws, buckets of hammers and anything of worth back into the workshop. They never got stolen again.
    Big and heavy stuff like cabs I can sort of understand,leaving a couple of grands worth of guitars that you earn your living with is just downright stupid. 
     Not a great thing to have happen but they've left themselves wide open. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Thanks for the post, I live very close to Petersfield- will keep my ears open. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306
    I know it's being shared on FB and around the Surrey/Hants borders as I got a notice from a friend in Woking.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom