Denmark Street

What's Hot
rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
The Daily Express journalist who wrote this article gave a brief history of Denmark Street but failed to mention what exactly the developers have planned for the buildings there:- 

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/795600/Tin-Pan-Alley-London-music-shop-Denmark-Street-history-David-Bowie-Jimi-Hendrix-Elton-John

I understand, some time ago, that there were proposals to move the music stores to the East End of London - an idiotic idea - but nothing concrete seems to have have emerged. Camden Town would be a better area for music shops if the music stores are to be moved out.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    I haven't been there for years. Is there seriously only one guitar shop left there now? 
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4630
    It is looking rather sad these days. Lots of empty shop fronts, Nothing much of interest to buy even finding a replacement valve is hard.
    Failed to get an HSS scratch plate for my strat.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3047
    It's been a slow death for well over 10 years now. The shops haven't managed to deal with the problems they've been facing so maybe it is time for it to move on. 

I hate to say that because I have very fond memories of the place but it's just not working anymore. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4630
    Guess the problem of high rents + internet + closure if recording studios has forced the issue.
    Alas the only shops (other than the likes of guitar guitar) that still seem to be around are those that cater for school/classical instruments, who sell sub £200 Cort guitars, overpriced strings and a handful of no name FX pedals.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Agreed - I've been fairly regular since maybe 89-90.

Back then there was a much bigger range and you had things like Soho Soundhouse down the road etc.

Now, NoTom is interesting, MI Audio opposite are useful for cables and demos - but the rest of it is bluh.

It's sad, but the world's moved on - in many ways for the better since many of my early memories revolve around stuck up 'too cool for school' assistants. But I still miss the place

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Wunjo, Vintage & Howmuch ! (© Estheroid) are still good places to browse

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    Wunjo, Vintage & Howmuch ! (© Estheroid) are still good places to browse

So at least two guitar shops are still open then? Daily Express in talking bollocks shocker! 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    And the one in the picture Tin Pan Alley guitars has some interesting stuff.

Rock Stop has gone sadly ....
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    Is Angel still there?  I used to like it in there - slightly more in line with my budget too.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    There are about 8 guitar shops there, with Regent Sounds & Westside (if you're after a Martin) the pick of the not-so-great crop.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    Sounds like a dreadful place from the past.

Having worked for one of the mogal publishers briefly a decade ago, I can attest that they are out of touch with today but do still wield some power and a little influence over the little people. The internet and cheap digital recording mean Joe Public can have a studio in his bedroom and become famous (if not rich). But then many stars from the 50-70s were famous without reaping the riches which conveniently went to the labels and publishers. The olden days were not all milk and honey.
    Jalapeno said:
    And the one in the picture Tin Pan Alley guitars has some interesting stuff.

Rock Stop has gone sadly ....
    Dunno about being sad, it was quite a strange place. Although they had a massive display of pedals in the window, the guy was very reluctant to let you try out anything. I've heard tales of him actually unplugging pedals and taking them off potential customers after a couple of minutes.  
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Definitely not the most friendly of places, depending where you went.  Wunjo was always one of my favourites
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    rocktron said:
    The Daily Express journalist who wrote this article gave a brief history of Denmark Street but failed to mention what exactly the developers have planned for the buildings there:- 

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/795600/Tin-Pan-Alley-London-music-shop-Denmark-Street-history-David-Bowie-Jimi-Hendrix-Elton-John

I understand, some time ago, that there were proposals to move the music stores to the East End of London - an idiotic idea - but nothing concrete seems to have have emerged. Camden Town would be a better area for music shops if the music stores are to be moved out.

East London makes more sense than Camden. Camden is a shell of its former self and the music industry has gone east. 
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    jellyroll said:
    There are about 8 guitar shops there, with Regent Sounds & Westside (if you're after a Martin) the pick of the not-so-great crop.
    The guys in west side are nice. But even though I used to really like regent sounds (bought my first strat with savings there - my dream electric at the time), I won't go in there anymore as the staff are so rude. 

Their loss as ive built up my guitar collection via their competitors. 
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    terada said:
    jellyroll said:
    The guys in west side are nice. But even though I used to really like regent sounds (bought my first strat with savings there - my dream electric at the time), I won't go in there anymore as the staff are so rude. 

Their loss as ive built up my guitar collection via their competitors. 
    Really? I've never had any service less than brilliant from them
    Stop crying, start buying