Zoom G3 question

What's Hot
smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 664

Hi guys,

Wondering if the G3 has the "line selector" pedal that appears in the multi-stop pedal, to allow you to turn on/off the whole chain with one stomp?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LevLev Frets: 228
    No it doesn't. I guess you could create a patch with nothing in it and switch to it whenever you want everything off. 
  • ok man, cheers! was hoping i'd be able to switch everything on together too!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72259
    edited February 2014
    Use the tuner… hold down the middle button. Then press it to bring everything back on.

Unlike the B3, the G3 has the very stupid oversight that holding it down for longer doesn't go to Mute - which is what you really want for tuning - it stays on Bypass, but for what you want that's ideal because there's no chance of accidentally muting it!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• You could just stick it in a single tb loop. That would do the trick.
  • yeah, was planning on putting it in my FX Loop, I was just over-thinking everything, as usual, lol!
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31526
    ICBM said:
    Use the tuner… hold down the middle button. Then press it to bring everything back on.

Unlike the B3, the G3 has the very stupid oversight that holding it down for longer doesn't go to Mute - which is what you really want for tuning - it stays on Bypass, but for what you want that's ideal because there's no chance of accidentally muting it!
    My G3 tuner mutes, just hold the middle button for about a second longer than bypass.
    p90fool said:
    My G3 tuner mutes, just hold the middle button for about a second longer than bypass.
    Mine doesn't. Trust me, I've tried holding it down for about a minute, let alone a second longer :). Is it part of the firmware update package?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LevLev Frets: 228
    edited February 2014
    Hold down the middle button to activate the tuner, once in the tuner screen the first LCD will say 'Bypass' by default. Turn knob '1' under that LCD to toggle between 'Bypass' and 'Mute'.

I just discovered this now..... I'm on FW ver2.0, not sure if it this was always there with the older firmware and I just didn't notice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Lev said:
    Hold down the middle button to activate the tune, once in the tuner screen the first LCD will say 'Bypass' by default. Turn knob '1' under that LCD to toggle between 'Bypass' and 'Mute'.

I just discovered this now..... I'm on FW ver2.0, not sure if it this was always there with the older firmware and I just didn't notice.
    Brilliant! Thank you. I love this place. You answer one question and get a better answer to a different one back :).

Mine is also an older version which has been later updated to V2.0. The original manual says hold for one second for bypass and two seconds for mute - which is how the B3 works, since it's never had an upgrade released.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    The lack of patch or bypass switching is the reason mine isn't on my board any more. 

Great units though.
    ICBM said:
    p90fool said:
    Mine doesn't. Trust me, I've tried holding it down for about a minute, let alone a second longer :). Is it part of the firmware update package?
    No mine's an old one I've never updated, but I seem to remember it was something I had to select in a menu rather than a default, probably the same thing that Lev is referring to :)
    edited February 2014
    Sounds like '1 for bypass, 2 for mute' is the original function - same as the B3, which comes standard like that. My G3 definitely been updated and now it's *either* bypass *or* mute, not one followed by the other. I can now use the tuner silently - although with the loss of the 'tuner as bypass' function, which makes it less useful to smudge_lad if he wants to use the tuner.

Slightly frustrating in some ways! To be honest I haven't quite bonded with the G3 as much as the B3 - it doesn't sound quite as good to me, and some of the functionality seems less well-thought out, like this.

Oh well, I'm glad I never updated mine! I was too scared to anyway to be honest, after spending weeks of rehearsals finetuning my patches I didn't dare lose them. I do everything on Linux these days, which doesn't support Zoom's editing software.
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    You can also use an external footswitch connected to the control input to bypass the unit.