Insane playing on a fretless guitar

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
OK, I'm sure that many won't like this, but Guthrie is pretty insane on the fretless guitar. I had to laugh as well when they all start playing on phones, and then rubber chickens!

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12362
    Guthrie's one of those players that really frustrate me. He's technically gifted and obviously brilliant but the material he plays is mostly unlistenable. I've got his Erotic Cakes cd: think I've played it once and it's gathered dust ever since. I really wish he'd concentrate on playing something melodic, tuneful, hummable instead of all the meandering technoflash. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    boogieman said:
    Guthrie's one of those players that really frustrate me. He's technically gifted and obviously brilliant but the material he plays is mostly unlistenable. I've got his Erotic Cakes cd: think I've played it once and it's gathered dust ever since. I really wish he'd concentrate on playing something melodic, tuneful, hummable instead of all the meandering technoflash. 
    WTF?
    Erotic Cakes is supremely melodic.
    Fives, Waves, Sevens, Erotic Cakes, Wonderful Slippery Thing all have great melodies.
    Give it another listen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited April 2017
    octatonic said:
    boogieman said:
    WTF?
    Fives, Waves, Sevens, Erotic Cakes, Wonderful Slippery Thing all have great melodies.
    Give it another listen.
    I completely agree with octatonic.
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    I find that many of the super technical "left brain" guitarists have a bit of ADHD going on, that they get bored by simple arrangements. Too many ideas compressed together. 

All that effort and not a single one will eclipse Dave Gilmour. 

It's like they're trying to fix a problem in music that doesn't exist.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897
    Funny how taste works. See, personally I find it weird that people hold Dave Gilmour up as the poster boy for guitar playing. If anyone epitomises dull, self aggrandising musical masturbation it's DG, IMO. 

The video in the OP here isn't really my thing but it's infinitely more interesting than something like Comfortably Numb. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    For me it is a matter of wanting guitarists to be the best version of themselves they can be.
    I love Guthrie's playing and I love Gilmour's playing- I get different things from each of them and I've listened to them both a lot.

I wouldn't want to see them try to play any other way than the way they each do- it is about respecting their artistry- from then it just comes down to what sort of mood I am in.
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    That's fucking hideous. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4695
    First time I've seen or heard them play and I have to say that I quite like this.  Maybe not for a Sunday morning mind.

Zappa-esque in a way and takes me back to the strange days at the end of the 60s and early 70s.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • I'm pretty confident Guthrie could do justice to a lot of styles. He was playing guitar at the Hans Zimmer tour last year and was incredible really. He's someone who is both talented and has put in a lot of serous work to the point he makes very difficult stuff look easy. Not everyone will like all his music but that's not the point. Shawn Lane was similar in some ways much of his output was difficult to get into but he was insanely good and capable of writing nice melodies as well as shredding beyond the speed many ever achieve
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I have to admit that, much though I love Guthrie, I can't sit through a lot of the Aristocrats. It's a bit too 'out there' for me. I am of the opinion that Erotic cakes is a superb album, although maybe he does play a few too many notes at times!

I think that GG is at his best with Steven Wilson. They have a bit of a battle apparently and SW manages to reign him in a bit. 

The Aristocrats are a bit like Allan Holdsworth -  a bit inaccessible to many although clearly quite brilliant.

Did anyone get to the phone/chicken bit? (4.36) I love the sense of fun!

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Well that was a complete waste of about 10 minutes.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    All a bit wierd I sort of enjoyed it, but they all look so fucking smug.....All epic musicians and tight as you like, it all worked well together, busy as it was, but once heard no need to replay for me.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    "Feel the power of my fusion lick!"

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897
    Thinking about a slightly odd ball guitar trio made me want to listen to Rangda, which is a very good thing indeed. 

Love this. 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3450
    That started off brilliant, like a bad Ornette Coleman, until the rubber chicken thing, then they just came across as eejits.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    I've not seen this before. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for posting it. Yet more evidence that Guthrie is an alien from another planet possessed with superhuman powers. I'm totally in awe of his abilities.
    It's not a competition.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2593
    octatonic said:
    boogieman said:
    WTF?
    Give it another listen.
    Nothing against Govan, he seems a nice chap and is obviously a phenomenal technician, and I've (moderately) enjoyed some of the stuff he did with Steven Wilson, but I can't help think that even reading those track titles would be enough to suggest this is not music for me.  In fact they reflect the music superbly:  clever, witty, superficial, a little too pleased with itself and not as funny or subversive as it thinks.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    Love it! Reminds me a lot of Brand X.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"