Is Amp re-biasing strictly necessary? Fender '68 CDR

colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
So my '68 CDR is coming up to 3 years out of the factory and I think in an attempt to lower its noise I will do a complete re-valve in the next few months.

The question is (since Fender amps tend to be biased cold) do I really need to get the amp biased? Sure, tweaking for the best sound is one thing, but from an amp safety/longevity point of view, can I just swap Groove Tubes for JJ's and go happily on my way?

Cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4679
    edited April 2017

I would, it should be pretty easy to do with a DMM.  If it is anything like a Princeton Reverb, it will have a pot and test points, you just get he schematic and set the MA rating between 2 points.

Longevity might be affected if the bias is too hot, but I suppose if it sounds okay when you swap them it should be broadly in range.

I suppose it's like buying new tyres and not getting it balanced, the car won't crash but it may not drive its best and the tyers may wear out quicker.

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

Your amp should be fitted with Groove Tubes (which could well be JJs, they will be labelled GT-6V6-S).

If you purchase Groove Tubes with the same rating number then you will not need to rebias the amp.

Of course you will pay extra for this.....