Les paul Tribute T info...

What's Hot
4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
in Guitar tFB Trader
Was looking to get a gold top les paul and thought I might try and save up to stretch to a 'proper' Gibson. Just seen the Les Paul Tribute T 2017 are only £599 from most stores, which seems pretty good to me! 

What's the deal with these, how do they stack up against the expensive Gibsons?  Decent guitars for the money? Or would it make more sense to just get a second hand Epiphone Gold top for much cheaper? 

Cheere! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I think (not sure) this is what they replaced the short lived LPJ model with. I have one of the LPJ and absolutely love it, that's also a gold top. I see no reason why it wouldn't play and sound just like a Les Paul should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The ones I've tried were nice, the satin finish is quite thin- I like the feel of it, but expect "relicing" to happen quickly. 
    I would have happily bought one had I not found my Edwards in the classifieds. 

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/stimpsonslostson/Mobile Uploads/IMG_20170424_162554701_HDR_zpsqq2qrgdf.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5653
    I have a 2016 Tribute, the satin ebony finish. I bought it because I played it and loved it, a rare thing for me and LPs. If you like the gloss and pomp of a Les Paul, steer well clear. 

I love the simple look and the feel of the nice chunky, satin, unbound neck. It's all the fat, warm tone I wanted and none of the bling I don't at all care for. 

Short answer though, is as with all guitars. You need to pick it up, play it and see if it talks to you. 
  • BoopDeWoopBoopDeWoop Frets: 101
    I have the 2017 gold top tribute. Love it, sounds good and is light as a feather. Really tidy fit and finish and it's my only guitar I've kept stock. I'm a simple fender guy so the lack of binding and fancy stuff is a plus for me 

I paid £800 for it last year and regret nothing. Well the gig bag is shit and I need a hard case for it but the guitar is quality. 
    edited April 2017
    These cheap(er) Gibson's are really good value, I love my LPJ and am tempted by an SG now 
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Personally I'd rather have an Edwards/Tokai/Greco/Burny with all the bling - because if any guitar deserves bling it's a goldtop Les Paul.

No doubt these Gibbo's will be be solid though.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Jack_ said:
    Personally I'd rather have an Edwards/Tokai/Greco/Burny with all the bling - because if any guitar deserves bling it's a goldtop Les Paul.

No doubt these Gibbo's will be be solid though.

I like the fact that there's no bling on them, my LPJ that made me realise a Les Paul neck plays better without binding, I do still prefer bound bodies but that's just an aesthetics thing. My LPJ gets played more than my "real" Les Paul because I'm happy to leave it out of a case, take it out of my guitar room to play upstairs on the sofa at night etc.
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    That's cheap! Wouldn't hesitate. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Yeah I prefer no neck binding on Gibson necks too, well, no nibs. Just that extra smidge of fret wire to play on
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Does anywhere have them in stock?
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    Like the look of these, any thoughts on which dealer might do part ex on them???
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    tony99 said:
    Like the look of these, any thoughts on which dealer might do part ex on them???
    By the looks of things nobody actually has any for sale yet... maybe the £599 is just a placeholder price? 
    tony99 said:
    By the looks of things nobody actually has any for sale yet... maybe the £599 is just a placeholder price? 
    Thought GAK had them...
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2533
    edited April 2017
    I have the 2016 50's Tribute Gold Top. Love it. The satin finish looks good but it does pick up scratches.  Worth getting a good case, I use a Gator hard case. Sound wise, it's the real deal. Through my Marshall DSL5C, all the classic tones are there. Paid £649 for mine from Amazon just before Christmas. 

For £599? That's a bargain for a genuine US Gibson, made in the same factory as the high end LP's.
    cruxiform said:
    I have the 2016 50's Tribute Gold Top. Love it. The satin finish looks good but it does pick up scratches.  Worth getting a good case, I use a Gator hard case. Sound wise, it's the real deal. Through my Marshall DSL5C, all the classic tones are there. Paid £649 for mine from Amazon just before Christmas. 

For £599? That's a bargain for a genuine US Gibson, made in the same factory as the high end LP's.
    Are the pickguards attached when you get it or would I be expected to glue / duct tape it on myself

Thanks
    edited April 2017
    tony99 said:
    cruxiform said:

Are the pickguards attached when you get it or would I be expected to glue / duct tape it on myself

Thanks

Hopefully it's not attached that way you won't have 2 screw holes when you take it off because it's a fact Les Paul's should never have a pickguard, fact I tell you D

Edit: looking at Gibson sight I'd suggest it's already fitted as its listed in the parts list
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2533
    Mine did come with the pickguard attached :)
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    I've also got a satin finish 2016, great guitar for the money.   I did have to apply some "nut sauce" to help keep it in tune, that worked, now it's my main guitar.  I miss the binding and glossy finish that my old gold top had but those things don't affect the playability or sound. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    cruxiform said:
    Mine did come with the pickguard attached :)
    Ooh!  Quality control on the up then.  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763

Oh my oh my, that's gorgeous!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom