Dishwasher recommendations?

What's Hot
BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1769
I need to buy a new integrated dishwasher (due to kitchen changes and the previous one not being integrated).
But it's totally overwhelming looking online at the huge lists of different products available though. And when you find one with good reviews you find that the 5 most recent reviews are all "worked great for the first few days, now waiting for an engineer to come and fix it".

So any recommendations from the fine folk of the fretbboard? Brands to look for or to avoid?
Help please!
Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• revsorgrevsorg Frets: 879
    We always buy Miele.  This was after years of buying Bosch and them breaking down increasingly soon after buying them.  Having said that our tumble drier is a Siemens and we've been very happy with it.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1769
    Bonus question (as this is my first integrated unit): how are you supposed to know if they've finished washing?! And does it knacker the programme if you open it mid way through?
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2758
    Siemens
  • Had a similar conversation on sunday afternoon in the pub, my mate then gets up and says " Never thought I'd be sitting in a pub discussing washing up" and walks out!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1619
    Miele all the way. Incredibly reliable (am also a former Bosch owner. It was the Bosch repair bloke that told me to get a Miele).

Only buy the pricier Mieles if you need loads of options (who does?). The cheaper ones have the exact same quality. Mind you even the cheaper ones are not cheap.

Doesn't knacker it to open the door half-way thru. It just stops, then restarts when you close up. When it finishes washing it makes a few beeps

• Electro_HamElectro_Ham Frets: 102
    Can only speak for one my mum had - Zanussi. Lasted 20 years. Then she left it there when she moved house.
    The one that came with my house must be 10 years old. It's Zanussi.
    Not being all that into 'white goods', I take it you just keep using these things until they break?
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Has to be Miele. No other.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    My completely anecdotal evidence would suggest that AEG ones last for at least 10 years.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    FX_Munkee said:
    My completely anecdotal evidence would suggest that AEG ones last for at least 10 years.
    I had an AEG for 6 years. As it was integrated I left it behind when I moved house. The Bosch (NEFF branded) model that I put into my new kitchen is nowhere near as good. Whilst it's been running ok for 4 years, there's lots of plastic internal fittings that have broken...poor quality plastics appear to be an issue with Bosch / NEFF....i bought one of their integrated fridges as well...all of the drawers / door trays have cracked.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    All our appliances are Bosch. Our dishwasher is used twice a day in a hard water area and it's still going strong after 10 years. Never had to call out an engineer.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Fretwired said:
    All our appliances are Bosch. Our dishwasher is used twice a day in a hard water area and it's still going strong after 10 years. Never had to call out an engineer.
    Bosch washing machines are good...mine is 12 years old and still running. Had to change motor brushes but that's it.
  • My British Gas appliance cover just replaced my old integrated Bosch dishwasher.

I don't think it ever worked properly, the long cycle never completed itself and always stopped half way through, so we had to use the short cycle all the time, it never really cleaned the dishes that well either to be honest. In the end the hinge support that held the door when open snapped. They were unable to source the parts to fix it to they replaced it with a new one. The replacement is a Kenwood, had it about a month and it's so much better than the old Bosch. Loads more cycle options and it just seems to clean the dishes a lot better. Only time will tell if it's robust enough to last, but so far so good.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    We've got a Bosch. It's about 8 years old and has only had a problem once when a bit of broken glass blocked the pump rotor and stopped it working.

Course that's put the kiss of death on it now.  :/
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    We had Bosch in my old office. They were used and abused a couple of times a day for years without issue. 

We don't tend to do expensive white goods in Casa Weary so ours is a Hotpoint. After a few years it started going a bit loopy once in a while but I've been able to reboot it each time and it's yet to have a mechanical failure. I watched something on the telly about dishwashers once ( I bet you're all well jell about how exciting my life is) and they basically said they all wash the same unless it's particularly cheap and crappy so go for the looks and features you like. I'd say simplest is bestest though. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Thanks for the input so far chaps.
    My initial budget that I was expecting was £300, but they seem more expensive than I thought so now looking more like £400. Cheapest Meile seems to be £650 which is pretty far over budget, but if it's actually worth it then maybe it's worthwhile stretching to that (and not eating for 2 weeks, lol) as it'll get used at least once per day!
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4692
    Which may have the answer.

Fully integrated best buys up to £500.00

AEG F66602VIOP              £479     80%
    Bosch SMV53M40GB         £449     78%  energy saver
    Bosch SMV65M10GB         £579     77%  energy saver

Miele G4990SCVI               £849     87%

I'll scan the whole page if you send me your email address.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16079
    Don't buy Miele ..........I have always thought that they were beyond everything else for quality .........recent experience was that 2 machines failed within days ,engineers couldn't fix and couldn't diagnose why -installation was by their techs
    The fight to get money back was terrible and the attitude of their service dept /customer services and manager was a disgrace.
    Fuck them. A thousand times fuck them -arrogant,rude,unhelpful and obstructive.
     AEG all the way.
    rlw said:
    Which may have the answer.

Fully integrated best buys up to £500.00

AEG F66602VIOP              £479     80%
    Bosch SMV53M40GB         £449     78%  energy saver
    Bosch SMV65M10GB         £579     77%  energy saver

Miele G4990SCVI               £849     87%

I'll scan the whole page if you send me your email address.
    That's great info, thanks. pm incoming!
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12294
    Fairy liquid and a sponge all the way
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3435
    Can one not ask the help to wash ones dishes?
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.