Coalition of bands for gigging.

midiglitchmidiglitch Frets: 172
We're based in Southampton and looking to team up with a handful of other originals bands in similar genres to approach venues for gigs in the South.

We're fed up with local 'promoters' who do nothing and expect us to bring our own fans to gigs where there are four different acts from different genres.

We hope to form a coalition of maybe 3 to 6 bands who can gig as pairs around the south.  We hope that our fans will like you and your fans will like us, and by being in the same or similar genre that fans of the genre will come to gigs knowing what to expect, and be able to discover new bands.

Initially I'm casting the net from Bournemouth / Poole through Salisbury, Winchester and down to Portsmouth though there are no hard and fast rules.

Our line-up consists of drums, synth bass, guitar, synth/strings/piano, and vocal and the genre is somewhere in the intersection of electronic/synth rock/pop with r&b infusions!  I'm setting up soundcloud now so you can have a listen but if you're even remotely interested then please let me know.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7286
    we're in the area but sounds like a totally different genre to you guys.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    I'm nowhere near Southampton, but it's making me think - could we use this tremendous new forum resource to knock up a couple of dozen 'regional' threads to put bands in different areas in touch with each other for gig shares/swaps etc? 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Great idea. Any midlands based bands here?
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    I hear what you say about promoters.
    Sounds like a good idea. Anybody in Sussex want to play? My band is mostly covers though with a few originals (got some more in the pipeline).
    Don't touch that dial.
  • That is actually a cracking idea, though we're mid-north Wiltshire. Good luck finding others though, I think it could work quite well
  • midiglitchmidiglitch Frets: 172
    Ok, as suggested by @iansavagr, I think we should do this by area rather than genre and create lists of bands that *could* feasibly gig together. Bands can then talk to each other and decide if there is an opportunity to gig together.

So if @cirrus you start a Midlands based thread, @fez you do Sussex, @Markslade07 you do Wiltshire/Gloucestershire and I'll start a new one for the South. Others can start similar threads of they don't fit into the existing areas and if a band it's willing to travel lots they might list themselves in a couple of areas.

I suggest band/soundcloud links so other bands can gauge genres.
    I haven't forgotten about this just been busy. If any Sussex based bands would like to contact me that would be great. I know quite a few Crawley/Horsham based bands who perhaps don't frequent this parish.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited September 2013
    Good idea. Bands everywhere should do it and either squeeze the "promoters" who don't promote out of business or get them to kick their arses into shape. Surprised the MU hasn't thought of it yet. 

EDIT Beware though, some promoters think they've got "their patch" sewn up, and will pressurise venue owners not to do business except via them. They might even send their "boys" round to see you.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    I am not aware of any of that kind of behaviour in our area but we will be diplomatic whenever necessary. Oh and we have boys of our own.
    Don't touch that dial.