Xotic RC booster owners. Suitable for thick low gain lead?

What's Hot
markjmarkj Frets: 914
edited April 2017 in FX
After a low to medium drive pedal that can give me a thick low gain lead. Would the RC booster be suitable?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• markj said:
    After a low to medium drive pedal that can give me a thick low gain lead. Would the RC booster be suitable?
    Uh.... it's kinda like a sustaining clean lead sound it gets. Too much drive on it gives you a bit of woolyness I find.

try a Nobels ODR-1... even better run the RC in the Nobels
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1619
    Not much drive to be had from an RC on its own. It's pretty clean even maxxed. Totally agree with the ODR1 suggestion, or any of its imitators/improvements. Or a Kingsley Page or Harlot, obviously

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited April 2017
    I've had an RC and I agree that it's probably not enough and probably better to stack it with something as it is an enhancer and nice pedal.

The Nobels would work but whilst these were @£55 new a couple of months ago, I've just noticed they've gone up to £84.99 - that's quite a hike!

As an owner, look at the Way Huge Pork Loin (better to find one used as they've also gone up). Here's a decent demo so you can get an idea

The Wampler Tweed is also nice and versatile

Also, and said it before here, any low-med gain pedal being fed by an Xotic EP pedal will thicken things up and enhance your sound. The EP is a bloody useful pedal.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    As said above the RC is clean all the way up pretty much but great for boosting what's already going on.

@Sassafras loves his Pork Loin I think.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I do indeed love the Pork Loin. Thick low gain sums it up. It can either be used as a lovely clean boost or a quite hairy OD on more extreme settings.
    And it works brilliantly with every amp I've come across.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    Sassafras said:
    I do indeed love the Pork Loin. Thick low gain sums it up. It can either be used as a lovely clean boost or a quite hairy OD on more extreme settings.
    Here Here :)
  • markjmarkj Frets: 914
    Sassafras said:
    Will look into this.
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    edited April 2017
    have you looked at boss blues driver or many of the clones ? mooer ; digitech etc

what amp is this going into and is it clean or ?

ps - try harry maes demos of popular overdrives - be aware he can make lots sound amazing

• markjmarkj Frets: 914
    Marshall style plexi head clean.
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
    ThorpyFX peacekeeper is the best low to medium gain drive pedal I have ever come across. Yes it's expensive but it sounds spectacular and the eq is very powerful so you can dial it in to suit any amp or guitar. I use mine as a slightly dirty boost into a crunchy amp to push it into a more sustaining drive
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1057
    I guess it depends on what amp you are using, but I certainly wouldn't say the RC is super clean with the gain cranked. At least with a clean blackface style amp, I can hear some nice crunch through my car Rambler.

i wouldn't describe it as 'thick sounding' overtly, but I find it does thicken things up nicely, especially with single coils. Not sure if what I've written makes sense  ;) 

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    edited April 2017
    The RC is not a dirt pedal.  It's basically a clean boost with EQ.  What you get out of it depends on how you use it  

I have it last in the chain to push the front end if a clean amp. Works brilliantly to get a volume boost for a solo. Or on all the time and work your volume knob. Or juicing up an amp when you can't turn it up.

Used in front if a dirt pedal it's completely different, just giving you more dirt. Waste of a good pedal in this case IMO.  
  • hywelg said:
    The RC is not a dirt pedal.  It's basically a clean boost with EQ.  What you get out of it depends on how you use it  

I have it last in the chain to push the front end if a clean amp. Works brilliantly to get a volume boost for a solo. Or on all the time and work your volume knob. Or juicing up an amp when you can't turn it up.

Used in front if a dirt pedal it's completely different, just giving you more dirt. Waste of a good pedal in this case IMO.  
    I think this is quite misleading, there's a good bit of gain available although it's certainly not a low-medium gain type pedal but in no way is it just a clean boost
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    hywelg said:

I think this is quite misleading, there's a good bit of gain available although it's certainly not a low-medium gain type pedal but in no way is it just a clean boost
    I'd agree with this. Quite what is 'clean' and what is 'overdrive' seems to vary a lot from person to person - personally, I'd say the RC gets into low gain overdrive with the gain pot all the way up. It also has a certain amount of compression going on - to my ears it sounds like it's got a bit of tubescreamer about it in that sense (although I've no idea what the circuit is) all be it much cleaner, sparklier and with a flatter base eq.

By comparison, my MXR Micro Amp Plus - also a great booster - has more clean gain available and a more neutral (or you might say, "less sweet") sound than the RC.

They're both great pedals in their own way.

• JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421