Double Gig Bags

What's Hot
menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

Dies anybody use them?  I tend to take 2 guitars in 2 gig bags to gigs but this might be easier.  Any good ones to look out for?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I have a Fender branded one which works well for my Tele and Strat.

I have considered the Mono but mega bucks. 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641
    I have a Fender branded one which works well for my Tele and Strat.

I have considered the Mono but mega bucks. 
    Yeah, they look great but probably overkill for my beaten old partcasters.   

Shall check out the Fender.
  • ZenOvertoneZenOvertone Frets: 231
    I have a Mono...bought s/h - well worth it but heavy with two up
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    I have one made by Ibanez if I remember rightly. Quite well made. Shoulder straps, handles and caster wheels so you can roll it along. I bought it for two Teles but then changed to gigging with Tele and 335. Too small for the 335 so it has been in the loft for several years. Not sure I would use it again.

• I bought the Ritter double electric gig bag and I'm very happy with it. It was about £50 last year, not sure if the price has changed much.

I too was taking 2 guitars plus cases to gigs and just storing them away was a pain. The Ritter is pretty sturdy and has decent storage. I generally only move my strat and tele in it but have braved my Les Paul in the front section on occasion.

"As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • TitchTitch Frets: 45
    I use a Mono double gig bag,it was expensive (just over £200) it's easier than carrying two cases,I've had it just over a year and done dozens of gigs with it without any problems though I do travel to gigs by car, if my gear went in the van then it would be back to the hardshell cases.  
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    I have the mono double too. Good bit of kit but yeah...expensive.
  • CastroCastro Frets: 510
    I have 3 Gator double bags and they're brilliant.
  • BGGBGG Frets: 688
    I got a s/h Mono off eBay, been using it a couple of years and love it.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Although mine has 5K plus worth of guitars in it sometimes (I bet yours does too ;)
    I went through 2 of the fender ones with snapping straps and burst zips before buying the mono
    I think it's been going for 5 years or so and I'm out nearly every weekend and rehearsals once a week
    I wouldn't put a les Paul or an SG in anything less tbh 
    Cabicular said:
    Although mine has 5K plus worth of guitars in it sometimes (I bet yours does too ;)
    I went through 2 of the fender ones with snapping straps and burst zips before buying the mono
    I think it's been going for 5 years or so and I'm out nearly every weekend and rehearsals once a week

I can't justify the Mono on guitar protection, it's never going to have more than a grands worth in it, but snapping straps would be annoying.  Saturday gone to Saturday coming I'll have had 3 gigs and 2 rehearsals so I definitely need something robust for the amount I'll be doing.  Perhaps I need to save some gig money and just get the good one.   Would be neater for around the house as well.

Would it fit a Midtown in as well do you think?

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Cabicular said:

I can't justify the Mono on guitar protection, it's never going to have more than a grands worth in it, but snapping straps would be annoying.  Saturday gone to Saturday coming I'll have had 3 gigs and 2 rehearsals so I definitely need something robust for the amount I'll be doing.  Perhaps I need to save some gig money and just get the good one.   Would be neater for around the house as well.

Would it fit a Midtown in as well do you think?

no I wouldn't think so
    I have a separate bag for 335 size
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    i had the Mono, it was great except very heavy with 2 guitars + bits in it, and another big piece of kit to fit in your car.
    These days i'd rather carry 2 separate gig bags

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    These days i'd rather carry 2 separate gig bags
    And me. My two PRS SE gigbags do the job very well - easy to pack in the car, stash away at the gig and store at home.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Cabicular said:
    I'm out nearly every weekend and rehearsals once a week
    Ditto - it's not a lot of money to protect our guitars when we are in and out of rehearsals and gigs 2x a week! Totally trust mine and with the neck support it could even save a LP! :) I have the Suhr and Guthrie Charvel and would also not put them in anything else - well certainly not a cheaper option.

• CastroCastro Frets: 510
    I have 3 Gator double bags and they're brilliant.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    A customer of mine brings his guitars in a Stagg double gig bag which is surprisingly good.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12646
    The Mono is good but not perfect... I had to stick a late 60s 335 back together that had come to grief whilst co-joined to a CS Telecaster whilst 'protected' by one.

I'm not a fan of gig bags for Gibson guitars, especially semi-solids or hollow bodies. Having driven a van over my Les Paul in its case after a gig back in the day - it was in a Bulldog full flight case and it survived without even going out of tune - accidents easily happen when you are tired, and a good hard case is a much better idea, IMHO.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    impmann said:
    The Mono is good but not perfect... I had to stick a late 60s 335 back together that had come to grief whilst co-joined to a CS Telecaster whilst 'protected' by one.

Not surprising, as the dual mono bags are intended for 'normal' electrics; mono make a specific case for semi-hollow / 335 style electrics, that are a bit wider and deeper than the standard bags. The standards list a max depth of 2", the semi hollow is 4". Based on my experience you'd have to really work to fit a 335 in one.
    impmann said:

I'm not a fan of gig bags for Gibson guitars, especially semi-solids or hollow bodies. Having driven a van over my Les Paul in its case after a gig back in the day - it was in a Bulldog full flight case and it survived without even going out of tune - accidents easily happen when you are tired, and a good hard case is a much better idea, IMHO.

Yeah, this is for Fender types only, I only have one Gibson, a Midtown which will stay in it's hard case.  Trouble is I'm too lazy to take G style guitars to gigs most of the time, I always need to put it back in the hardcase between sets and look after them a bit more.  Whereas my Tele can look after itself. It can be leaned up anywhere and if I drop it I'm more worried about the floor.

Plus you can fold a gig back up and put it out of the way, hard cases are so cumbersome.