Firefox OS mobile phone

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-08/16/zte-open

Anyone interested? Surely they are going to struggle to make a dent in the market? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Nope.
    My V key is broken
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27580
    Given how flaky and buggy Firefox is on a tablet I wouldn't risk it as an OS for a phone.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • I'd be tempted to try it. But I'm heavily invested into the Android ecosystem now - with all my music on Google for example and an Android tablet and phone.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I think the only thing in it's favour is that it's going to be fairly cheap so it might be able to make a dent in emerging markets.

I won't be getting one.
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 320
    More interested in this 
    monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

tFB Trader
    WYNIR0 said:
    More interested in this 
    Unfortunately it looks like they aren't going to make their funding target unless Mark Shuttleworth pulls the rest out of his pocket. 

I like the fact that Ubuntu are taking an interest in other form factors, but it really seems like they have taken their eye off the ball with the desktop OS which is shocking.
    The server build is still great though.
  • WYNIR0 said:
    More interested in this 
    Unfortunately it looks like they aren't going to make their funding target unless Mark Shuttleworth pulls the rest out of his pocket. 

I like the fact that Ubuntu are taking an interest in other form factors, but it really seems like they have taken their eye off the ball with the desktop OS which is shocking.
    The server build is still great though.
    Interesting. I am just preparing to delve into Linux for the first time and was planning to go with Ubuntu. What else should I consider? I'm a Windows user and not a big fan of CLI.
    tFB Trader
    I used Ubuntu as my main OS for several years, but I can't stand using the Ubuntu dev machine I've got for more than a few minutes. Unity is crashy and randomly goes slow and if you don't give it a tweak it shows adverts for Amazon all over the place. 

A lot of people have defected from Ubuntu to Linux Mint which is derived from Ubuntu, but slightly less horrible in terms of UI.