Question for recording bods regarding metronoming...

I've downloaded a free version of reaper, which is 60 days of use.  Tried it out and, after some faffing, worked it out.  It's pretty easy to use!

However, I hate the metronome.  I know, it's a small thing, but it's not that loud, and more annoyingly, the '1' is low pitch and the rest are high.  That's back to front!  

So, would I be able to record like this:

1.  Create a new track
2.  Set tempo to song tempo
3.  Arm track 
4.  Plug headphones into a seperate metronome that I like
5.  Hit record, then start playing to my own metronome.
6.  When I'm done, stop playing, cut the start and end crap off and move it back in time to the beat in Reaper.  
7.  Reamp with mic (might need to redo step 6 afterwards).

Also, how easy is mixing?  I'll likely just want to keep it relatively simple, set the levels to suit, panning and maybe some EQ (but I'm hoping to get the EQ done in the amp).  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    However, I hate the metronome.  I know, it's a small thing, but it's not that loud, and more annoyingly, the '1' is low pitch and the rest are high.  That's back to front!  

Also, how easy is mixing?  I'll likely just want to keep it relatively simple, set the levels to suit, panning and maybe some EQ (but I'm hoping to get the EQ done in the amp).  
    Usually recording programs let you control the metronome pitch as if you're recording loud stuff you may find certain pitches cut through better. Never used this one though. Yeah, you can use whatever metronome you want. It's just a guide for you, as long as the tempo is right in the DAW tempo-synched effects will work fine.

How easy is mixing? Oh man. It can really be as easy or as hard as you want. At its most basic, it can be very easy. Just adjust the volumes and panning until it sounds good to you. The rest will follow in time.
  • When i moved from cubase I didnt like the metronome either, having been accustomed to the midi cowbell sound that cubase has. However having worked with it a bit I have come to prefer the very digital click. Mostly because it cuts through noise so well, even with headphones on in a full band session it can be touch to hear the click.

If you do want to change it however if you right click on the metronome icon on the top left you get options to controkl the pitch and relative volume of each beat .

You can also change the sample but I can remember off hand how to do it, i believe you had to add a track containing the click source and then edit that.

I would spend a little time getting reapers metronome to your taste rather than working with the manual fiddling required to fix up timing discrepencies between reapers clock and your favourite metronome.

The actual process of mixing is pretty easy, you add send buses and insert plugins and fiddle witht he parameters, its getting it to actually sound like what you have in your head that is the tricky point :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Send buses and insert plugins? 

I don't know what that means.  I'm just going to reamp the sound and see what happens, I'll write back if I need help!
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited February 2014
    One thing at a time dude.

Start with volume and panning, as Cirrus has suggested. 

If you want to get deeper into mixing IMO your first priority should be to understand your basic toolset.  There is no point wondering how to use buses if you don't understand how EQs, compressors etc all work.

I have the first edition.
  • Thanks very much @guitarfishbay.  I'll look into that book if I want to sound half professional!

Yup, no way I'm getting that into it.  My aim is to just get rough and ready ideas for myself and maybe show other folks, see if they fancy getting together and writing stuff.

And posting on here for critique, obviously.