disconnecting LP tone pots

What's Hot

The tone pots in my LP are broke. To disconnect them from the circuit it looks like I'd just need to clip the cap' out, right?

would I need to put any earth connections anywhere else?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    You can disconnect the +ve wire (coming from pickup or volume control); that way no signal will get to them.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    (P.S. Put some tape over the wire ends.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72305
    Just cut the cap leads at the volume pot end. (Or unsolder them, if you want to do a clean job and make it easier to refit them later, if that matters.)

You don't need to connect or disconnect anything else, the ground connections don't matter.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

That's what I wanted to hear, cheers guys.

Will desolder the cap and tape it up until I get round to ordering new pots.

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited April 2017
    It'll sound a little brighter and louder without the tone pots connected.  If you like this then order no load tone pots - they're out of the circuit on 10 and operate as normal as you turn them down.  I tend to fit these to all my instruments these days, sometimes the extra brightness is helpful.
    edited April 2017
    It'll sound a little brighter and louder without the tone pots connected.  If you like this then order no load tone pots - they're out of the circuit on 10 and operate as normal as you turn them down.  I tend to fit these to all my instruments these days, sometimes the extra brightness is helpful.

That might be what is installed now? but they're both fried. (It's someone elses project guitar I picked up on a price to good to turn down).
    currently neck tone is muddy smush through whole range, bridge tone is muddy from 1-10, but appears to click out the circuit at 0.

The main goal for me here is to have a usable neck pup.

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7024
    tFB Trader
    Is the cavity shielded? The problem might just be a short to earth.
    Is the cavity shielded? The problem might just be a short to earth.

possibly, I guess the less lazy thing for me to do would be take everything out, test it and reinstall what's working...