New Katana Day

What's Hot
midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
or previously owned to be exact. Katana 100 112 combo bought from a FBer yesterday. had a couple of hours play so far and not really done much exploring but thought id write my initial very subjective thoughts anyway.
I wanted a new amp for small gigs. I love my laney VC30 212 combo but im finding it too heavy and bulky for me these days (wimp i know).
the katana is about six inches shorter and about 4 inches less high but about half the weight. its much more manageable for me, getting it in and out the boot etc. I dont really like amps with complicated settings and menus  but the katana seems pretty easy to navigate around. In honesty i probably dont need most of it and may never get to use the effects let alone download and shape all the others available.  Whether it takes pedals well i cant really say but it takes my zoomG3 really nicely., which is what i use live. I have set myself a nice clean channel which is my mainstay and run the drive and other effects off the zoom.  
it does sound that id be better off witha simple clean amp maybe a bandit or similar. But hey, i wanted to try something different and so far Im not dissaponted. The onboard different amp voices sound great. for home practising when i cant be bothered to find and connect the zoom i will play through those, and a bit of reverb. 
the 0.5 watt is more than loud enough for home practise. I will be gigging it on saturday so will know whether its loud enough at 50 or 100w, or if it cuts through the band ok. (i feel confident it will). i was tempted to get the 212, but its a lot more dosh and the object was to get something substantially lighter than my laney. 
for me the main thing is if it sounds good in our band gigging conditions and i will find that out over the weekend but so far im really pleased with it. Not going to sell the laney yet, or my cub but i think its amazing value for money and great tones.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    How tubey can it get. Id be interested in the head if it didnt sound as harsh and sterile in the way ive found solid state amps to be. Im genuinely interested in how you find the katana to be.
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360

Happy new amp day. I gigged mine on Saturday. Had it on about 4 on the 100w setting and it sounded great to me, and apparently really good out front. Enjoy.

• How tubey can it get. Id be interested in the head if it didnt sound as harsh and sterile in the way ive found solid state amps to be. Im genuinely interested in how you find the katana to be.
    to me it sounds quite tubey (valvey in the UK) clean, not to disimilar from my VC30. Im using my zoom g3 for my drive tones as thats what ive  been using with my VC30. i will experiment with the onboard sounds in the coming weeks, but for now i just wanted a good rich clean for adding my effects to. The test for me will be when i gig it over the weekend. By others accounts it seems it wont have any problems cutting through. I use to have a peavey bandit and i always found that a bit harsh but the katana seems not harsh.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    HNKD. Hope you like it as much as I like mine :)
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Hmmm is this a new product? Doesn't seem to be much buzz around em?
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Sword speaker apparently.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7104
    one of us . . one of us . . one of us
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    tony99 said:
    https://imgur.com/gallery/Jyk3j
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99 said:
    https://imgur.com/gallery/Jyk3j
    im different, just like everybody else
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I've just bought one of these today. Seems perfect for what I'll use it for.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

Yeah, I hadn't really heard of it until it was recommended to me, but then when I looked to buy one I found that a lot of places had sold out (especially the 50w) and that Boss were having to limit the numbers they are supplying to each retailer so there's enough to go round.

• ive been playing with it a lot today at home but havnt taken it off the 0.5 watt setting so im look forward to playing at band volume tommorow night. it is actually very simple to use, i havnt got involved with the tone studio yet and might not even bother
    I've downloaded it already, I want to get the slicer effect loaded on to the amp. I loved my slicer pedal when I had it but it was too big for my board so I got rid.

• beowulfbeowulf Frets: 44
    ive been playing with it a lot today at home but havnt taken it off the 0.5 watt setting so im look forward to playing at band volume tommorow night. it is actually very simple to use, i havnt got involved with the tone studio yet and might not even bother
    Don't be put off, it's so easy to use. You do need a usb type b (I think) cable though
  • beowulf said:
    ive been playing with it a lot today at home but havnt taken it off the 0.5 watt setting so im look forward to playing at band volume tommorow night. it is actually very simple to use, i havnt got involved with the tone studio yet and might not even bother
    Don't be put off, it's so easy to use. You do need a usb type b (I think) cable though
    im not put off, just dont feel i need it at the moment, i use the effects on the zoom g3 as im use to it, when i have a few weeks between gigs i will experiment, there definately are some interesting options there.