What to charge for additional (acoustic) set at wedding plus additional faffing?

What's Hot
RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6481
OK so the chap who books my gigs - we'll loosely call him my agent, although it is more complicated than that - has asked me to quote for additional requirements for a gig I am already booked on, as per below:

The existing booking:
Mid-afternoon arrival time, midnight finish, 2 x 1 hour sets of live music with "DJ" music before/ between/ after sets.

The additional requirements:
90 minute Easy-listening acoustic set (guitar and vocals) from 3:15pm
Radio Mic to be set up for speeches
Background music (from laptop) during wedding breakfast
All gear for evening to be set up by 5pm

This has the following implications:
Extra 90 minutes singing for me (making it a 3.5 hour singathon for me)
All three of us need to be there earlier to set up TWO PA's as there won't be time to move the "acoustic" section's PA and set it up again.
Purchase of a radio mic (I don't need one, I'm a singing guitarist, I can't hold a radio mic and play, so no point having a mic that isn't wired!)

My initial thoughts are:
Radio mic = £100
Early start = £75 x 3 people = £225
Extra set of music (including learning the additional songs) = £250
Total = £575

Function band peeps, am I being unreasonable? Overly generous? Over-tight? Thoughts on fees please!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OR ...Am I daft for even considering it? Should i be contemplating 3 and a half hours of singing in one day?

Should I price myself out of it so that they are better off booking a separate acoustic act?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26960
    Definitely don't under-sell yourself, particularly as the bit where you might be knackered is actually your bread & butter.

I don't think 500 is unreasonable (assuming you're charging in the region of 1.2k for the main gig).

My only question is whether it's definitely a PA job for the first acoustic bit - would a half-decent acoustic-amp-with-mic or single FRFR type speaker work (not that I know whether you have eiether of those!)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402
    I would normally tack about £220 for that but we already got wireless mics and acoustic PA so there's not really any additional cost, just more labour 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3041
    Only you know if you can sing that much. 

The fee for the additional performance sounds reasonable. 

Charge for additional equipment hire at cost,  if you don't already have it. 
  • Don't agree to the acoustic set, just enjoy the main event in the evening. Let them get an acoustic player who can take on the extra radio mic etc. But what do I know?
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    If you have the right 'lounge' material then you can sing without too much strain. If you are going to belt the acoustic set get someone else to do that bit and pay them. Chances are about 3 people will be listening to you as background chaff.
    Is the original gig already in the bag and signed? If so price the extras as you wish, they have two choices and you might end up just doing the later evening.
  • Well, I decided to ask for £300, based upon @Danny1969's recommendation, as he has more experience of these things than I do - i.e. £220 as per Danny's quoted price + £80 to allow for a radio mic.
    Agent chappy pushed for £400 instead and they met him halfway at £350, so am quite happy with that.

Am looking forward to putting an easy listening setlist together, will definitely be taking @ESBlonde's advice and singing without strain. Gentle and background is the key. 
    Nervous about my voice, especially as it is likely there will be a gig the night before, buy hey ho.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    @RocknRollDave just think crooner, be Max Bygraves or Val Doonican, even Frank Sinatra for the afternoon, just take some lozengers to ease things but tell the band (with a threat of severe violence) that stage volume both nights WILL be an issue! If they get out of hand they get a telecaster to the head (I'll lend you one). how you feel at the end of the night before could well be relevent to the second night.
    If anyone else in the band sings the odd number or is willing to have a go either night let them, it will all help the overall situation and give the audience a different perspective. Often on the second consecutive night the throat feels better (it's had a recent work out) just don't get tempted to thrash it or you just might regret it the morning after.

In all probability there will be no issues, but if I've learned one thing doing function/corporate it's be prepared and charge accordingly.
    Break a leg.

• bob21bob21 Frets: 170
    @RocknRollDave If, as you say, you have no ongoing need for a radio mic - hire one for the day. Should look more like £40ish, so you will save plenty. Let us know where in the country you are, I can probably recommend someone worth talking to!
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6481
    Well, the gig was on Saturday so it is done and dusted.

Acoustic set: Wasn't my greatest performance ever, but it was background music for the drinks reception so no-one was listening to any great extent, and it wasn't terrible...!
    Fortunately, we made up for it with a storming full band show in the evening. After the second set (second of 2 x 1 hour sets) the bride and groom implored us to carry on, so we played from 10:20 until midnight - 40 minutes bonus material! They gave us a generous tip for the extra playing time, plus they had already paid us £50 over the originally agreed fee (and refused to take it back) so a fine night all round!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    Sounds like a great success.
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    I'm glad it all went well @RocknRollDave. I'm sure you are worth every penny they paid you  :)
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.