TC Sub n Up

What's Hot
andypandyp Frets: 332
Hi folks.

Has anyone got or had one of the TC Sub n Up octave pedals? I'm really not "needing" this sort of thing, but ever since I've seen octave pedals I've been pretty fascinated by them, I think they sound awesome. Thing is, I'm learning still at a kind of "intermediate" level but still progressing quite quickly so I'm thinking I probably won't be using this for much other than a bit of fun and messing around. It's probably only useful to me for playing tracks that use Octave effect but I'm also curious as to whether it could lead me to be creating my own sort of style and generally just have some fun with it.

What's the forum verdict? The TC looks to be the best balance of price and features and every review seems very favourable... but is it likely to just be a waste of time and end up on eBay in a month's time? Just wondering what people have found with these things. I'll be flogging my (previously much loved) Soul Food for this as the amp I have now has a drive channel so it's kinda never used... in that case the octaver should only "cost" me £50-60 or so I guess.

Andy
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I like it. I previously had an EHX Micro Pog, but the Sub'n'up offers more. I generally use it either for bass guitar impressions (when looping), or as a 12 string effect in a covers band set (i.e. that big opening chord on the Beatles "Hard Days Night").

The toneprint options are good to add modulation and other such fun to the octaved signal(s).

• Our bassist has one and it sounds immense. He's not much of a knob twiddler so just set it where he liked it but I got a bit deeper into it and there are a lot of fun toneprints to play with.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Thanks guys.

I figured "what the hell", so I've ordered one this afternoon. :) They seem to vary in price though, and not that many places seemed to have them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    I've got one. I think it works very well, especially compared to the older pitch-shifting effects I've used before. The polyphonic option is can handle any normal playing style, the monophonic option is fatter, more 'synth-y' but requires clean playing to avoid glitches (from ringing strings, etc).

I use it mainly for basslines when looping but also for faux-organ sounds which it does very well with the toneprint options.
    I think it'll be pretty cool. Will report back how I find it, but I've got lots of Jack White aspirations forming in my head already... :D
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    andyp said:
    I think it'll be pretty cool. Will report back how I find it, but I've got lots of Jack White aspirations forming in my head already... :D
    nooooooooooooooooooooo

Step away from your sister!!!!!!
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Haha. I asked for that one. :D

Will be interesting to see how this thing goes, they look great fun.
    OK... couple of hours goofing about with the Sub n Up last night and it's pretty cool fun. It sounds brilliant but my wee Code amp's speaker is struggling with the Sub 2 octave. It's not an issue though as I'll be adding it to my "board" next week which only gets used with my DSL5.

Really cool pedal, got some nice faux 12-string sounds going on and it'll work really well with my other pedals and the drive channel on the DSL. Pretty impressed with it so far. I know there are fans and non-fans, but the speed of delivery, price and packaging were second to none from YouTube's favourite blue-signed store too. Well chuffed. :D

Picture time... let's see if this works.

http://i.imgur.com/NRGKBl3.jpg
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Have fun! 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    What's the Brillo Pad for?
    Ach. I can't see the photo on my phone. Was working earlier on the laptop. I can never figure out what works on here and what doesn't when posting pics.

I assume you mean the "bubble wrapped to within and inch of its life" photo of how the pedal arrived? :D
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    andyp said:
    OK... couple of hours goofing about with the Sub n Up last night and it's pretty cool fun. It sounds brilliant but my wee Code amp's speaker is struggling with the Sub 2 octave. It's not an issue though as I'll be adding it to my "board" next week which only gets used with my DSL5.

Really cool pedal, got some nice faux 12-string sounds going on and it'll work really well with my other pedals and the drive channel on the DSL. Pretty impressed with it so far. I know there are fans and non-fans, but the speed of delivery, price and packaging were second to none from YouTube's favourite blue-signed store too. Well chuffed. :D

Picture time... let's see if this works.

http://i.imgur.com/NRGKBl3.jpg
    Is it just me or forest the pedal seem a LOT bigger than the box?????
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom