Jonathan Demme RIP

What's Hot
ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
:(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39724613

Among other great movies, director of probably the best concert movie ever, Stop Making Sense.

RIP

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    ^Despite being pretty movie savvy I was pretty surprised to hear he directed that.  I agree, it's definitely up there 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22715
    I'm not a huge fan of any of his films, but I certainly admire him for having such a diverse body of work.  I guess Something Wild and Married to the Mob would be my favourites, although it's been a while since I've seen them and I wonder how they've aged.  Stop Making Sense is great even though I'm not really a Talking Heads fan.

Sad news.  RIP.
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1209
    That's a shame. I saw him talk at a screening of Storefront Hitchcock in London 20 odd years ago.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    MrsTheWeary mentioned this yesterday, Silence being one of her favourite films (she's much more of a movie buff than I am)and it still stands up. I don't think I've seen almost anything else by him.
    73 used to sound ancient but as I get older it doesn't anymore, RIP :anguished: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • stickersticker Frets: 869

loved his Neil Young films too - R.I.P

• DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Sometime in the latter half of 80s I videoed Stop Making Sense off the BBC, and watched it obsessively.  I was just starting to learn guitar, and I used to pause sections and try and figure out David Byrne's chords.  It's just a magical concert film, still the best.  Heart Of Gold is also rather special, and the solo version of The Old Laughing Lady over the end credits (just Neil in the Ryman, with the venue completely empty) is spellbinding...

Silence Of The Lambs is easily in the top five films of the 90s, which is no mean feat when you consider some of the directors that emerged in that decade (Tarantino, PT Anderson and Fincher for starters).

Demme was one talented guy.  RIP.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom