Any Lonestar Special users?

What's Hot
welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
Anyone on here use a Lonestar Special?

Looking to retire the Shiva (LOL) and gassing badly for either a Stiletto or a Lonestar.

Stiletto is a fairly straightforward Mesa take on a Marshall but the Lonestar I can't quite get my head around - doesn't help that there are different versions..

So, gainwise - is the LSS capable of the usual Mesa gain levels or is it more Texas Blues voiced - I know Timmons uses the Lonestar but he uses a Valve Driver and his usual annoying monster player mojo to get some great noises out of them...so not a real world comparison for me..

EL84 I know gives a different feel, but what I don't want is to have to kick the amp in the balls with an overdrive pedal at maximum gain to get it up to that creamy lead sound.

Opinions please.

Ta

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 275
    I used to have a Lonestar 2x12 which was a great amp. It delivered a reasonable amount of gain, but not Rectifier levels. The clean sounds were really clear and articulate, reverb was good, and there was minimal hiss from the amp which took pedals well. I think Andy Timmons used to use the amp's gain, but now uses his signature pedal. Dominic Miller (Sting's long-time guitarist) also uses one. I'd recommend trying one out alongside a Lonestar Special to see what best works for you.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    edited April 2017
    I've had a LSS for many years. Cleans are exceptional and the second channel can be set up as a gainier version of the clean channel, edge of break-up or early Mark Series levels of gain. Reverb is superb and the amp is very quiet.

Its probably the ideal Mesa for 'rootsy'-styles.

Build is very good - as is reliability.

In an ideal world, I'd probably have a DRRI for cleans and a Bad Cat for driven sounds - but money and space means the LSS is a very effective 'one box' solution.

If high volume live cleans are an issue it's worth pointing out that headroom isn't massive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    edited April 2017 tFB Trader
    Every LSS that I've seen has been on fire at some point or other. Those EL84s run v.hot with very little protection for when they eventually go bang.

The 5Y3 rectifier is also run way past it's usual operation specs and they don't usually last very long. There's a technical bulletin from Mesa for the earlier models that you should have carried out by a tech to improve the reliability of the amp.

All that said, the cleans are great 
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    edited April 2017 tFB Trader
    The Lonestar Special uses EL84s... Timmons uses the Classic which uses 6L6s. I had the Classic until about one month ago. Supreme amp in terms of build quality, options, tones and clarity. 

The cleans are full of bass and top end sparkle, the lead is quite outstanding. You'll have no issue getting thick and creamy overdrive out of it at all. With or without a drive pedal.

Id highly recommend the Classic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Mike77Mike77 Frets: 14
    I also have the classic and can say that @lonestar has pretty much said all there is to say. Seconded!