Thinking of a Helix LT as my Mini Board - Am I Mad?

What's Hot
peteripeteri Frets: 1283

So - I have a main pedalboard which I love, all 'proper' pedals, G2, nice case etc. Absolutely wonderful and I'm happy.

But - it weighs a bloody ton, and if I was going to a gig or a proper thing it would be worth it.

So, I plan to build a 'grab and go' board - something lightweight which sounds really good but I can put in a rucksack and I can get on the tube with.

My plan was to use a Pedaltrain nano+ and put a mixture of pedals I have, or could buy on, lose the programmability but have sounds I like.

Pricing that up - I could get a Helix LT instead for the same money.

Advantages are I'd have the programmability and it's less hassle in many ways but still.....

I'm an everything in front of the amp guy, playing AC/DC, blues, Hendrix up to EVH sort of stuff.

Thoughts?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28016
    It'll work nicely for that. The main risk I see is that you might like it so much you don't need the "proper" board any more. ;)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Unless you use esoteric pedals all your base sounds will be covered and you have the added flexibility of direct PA out and a decent recording interface chucked in

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26922
    Sporky said:
    It'll work nicely for that. The main risk I see is that you might like it so much you don't need the "proper" board any more. ;)
    Came to say exactly this.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited April 2017
    For live, I plan to use my Helix LT in stompbox mode with the 1/4 jack output going into the front of an amp. And an amp/cab included in the routing to the XLR out to give the option of a DI into a mixing desk.

There's also an Andertons video on using the LT in stompbox mode.

It's not a competition.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Sporky said:
    Came to say exactly this.

me too - I've quickly gone rom Helix + pedals in to a 'proper amp', to Helix in to power amp/cab, to Helix and noting else direct to PA.  Sounds better than I ever have, and is so easy
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Thanks for the replies - it looks really good, but I love the sound of my pedals - so will try the mini board idea first, old school baby!

Plugged in my original Marshall Gu'vnor pedal tonight - that convinced me!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    ^. About six months after I got the Helix I plugged in my JTM45 and pedalboard to remind myself what a 'real' rig sounded like.  5 minutes later I switched it off and put the lot up for sale, the Helix sounds that good
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    Another  for "you'll stop using big board"
    I got helix rack to have at home and do some recording. Used it instead of pedal board for last few gigs. Can't see myself going back and be selling on some of the board to upgrade to the floor controller.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28016
    peteri said:
    Thanks for the replies - it looks really good, but I love the sound of my pedals - so will try the mini board idea first, old school baby!
    It'll sound at least as good as the pedals, and be much more flexible.

G'wan.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Honestly? It depends on how picky you are with your drive pedals 

not saying the modelled ones are bad but if you aren't too fond of the real life counterparts of those modelled ones then chances aren't you won't like those either

the fx you'll find a way to make sound the way you want

of course this all changes if you start using the amp modelling
    I used the M13 live for years for that type of music and the drives were great
    the screamer with low gain stacked into the tube driver were amazing
    on the Helix the mod 2204 is my AC/DC Zep amp. Shove a low gain Minotaur in front of it to ramp up for more VH Vai type noises
    All great

Script mod in front of the drives
    70s chorus and Gray Flanger behind the drives and a simple delay and you are off to the races
    We do the Trooper and Detroit rock city and I have a couple of intelligent harmony patches which toggle with the foot switches allowing me to do dual harmonies
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    I'm actually thinking of going the other way; selling off my grab 'n' go board and getting an LT. My mini board is a comp, rat, OD, bitquest, delay, reverb & a boost, a total cost of around... £1,100! Christ, I've never done the maths there before. That would have been an LT and a good chunk of change.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Well I'm in hospital waiting for an op and bored so I just tried to read the LT manual. I'm really tempted but at the same time I think I will get lost for days, they overview a harmonic delay and there are 4 pages of parameters! For a delay! And the argument of not having to deep dive if you don't need to doesn't work with me, if it's there I want to know what it does. That's why I limit myself to 4 knobs per individual pedal on my board.

Basically, it's a completely different mindset to a grab and go board. You have everything you could ever wish for at your displosal and you need to "limit" yourself within this, vs having kit that has limitations but you squeeze every drop out of.

dindude said:
    Well I'm in hospital waiting for an op and bored so I just tried to read the LT manual. I'm really tempted but at the same time I think I will get lost for days, they overview a harmonic delay and there are 4 pages of parameters! For a delay! And the argument of not having to deep dive if you don't need to doesn't work with me, if it's there I want to know what it does. That's why I limit myself to 4 knobs per individual pedal on my board.

Basically, it's a completely different mindset to a grab and go board. You have everything you could ever wish for at your displosal and you need to "limit" yourself within this, vs having kit that has limitations but you squeeze every drop out of.

I've had the Helix since it launched and haven't read the manual once
    You really ought to try one 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4685

dindude said:

Like I posted in the other thread, it took me 30 mins to set up the Helix yesterday from never having used one before.  Personally I think the simple interface is great and will actually help stop any option paralysis.  In fact I'm not sure to replace a modest board you would even need to read about the manual or know about all the parameters.

• dindude said:
    And the argument of not having to deep dive if you don't need to doesn't work with me, if it's there I want to know what it does. That's why I limit myself to 4 knobs per individual pedal on my board.

But that's not everyone's mindset.

Mine is I'd rather stick to the basic controls, but should I ever need them the advanced controls are available. With a real pedal that'd mean modding or selling to buy a different one.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    dindude said:
    And the argument of not having to deep dive if you don't need to doesn't work with me, if it's there I want to know what it does. That's why I limit myself to 4 knobs per individual pedal on my board.

But that's not everyone's mindset.

Mine is I'd rather stick to the basic controls, but should I ever need them the advanced controls are available. With a real pedal that'd mean modding or selling to buy a different one.
    Very true, people's mind sets are different for sure, I just know that for me I work best when I am sweating a bit of kit. But, yes, I really do need to get out and try one.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    I think I need to try one, what holds me back is two things:

1. I like the process of buying pedals, finding what I like, flipping the others etc
    2. Somehow, and I have used a Helix briefly plus all the other Line 6 stuff, the experience of knob turning is different with pedals - somehow involves a different part of my brain than looking at a computer screen (for that's what it is on a Helix).

But price wise it makes sense - so time to try and be brave I guess!
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7824
    I'm going to wait until Helix 2 comes out.  Line 6 stuff usually plummets on the used market when something 'new and improved' comes out. 
    Happy to wait for a bargain ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom