'always on' compressors

What's Hot
midiglitchmidiglitch Frets: 172
If you use a compressor live could you shed some light on what you feel the compressor adds to the sound/performance?

I'd be interested to know what genres you play, what other gear you are using and what you feel the compressor brings to the party.  Do you turn it off for any special circumstances?  How much are you squashing things and what pedal are you using to do it?

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited August 2013
    I've never used a compressor as an 'always on' effect.
    I currently have an Analogman Comprosser- very squishy and obvious on clean sounds- I don't bother with distorted tones as it just reduces the dynamic range and doesn't add much tonally.
    I think for live it tends to have to be obvious, otherwise it gets lost.

The best compressor, for me, though is amp distortion/overdrive.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2324
    octatonic said:
    The best compressor, for me, though is amp distortion/overdrive.
    LOL +1

I'd only really use a compressor much on cleaner tones to even everything up. Though I'm probably not who you should listen to as I don't normally play that type of stuff, and I don't play live either.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7670
    I use an ART TubePac as a preamp/comp for both acoustic guitar and bass, though I don't squash the sound a lot, it does hide a little of the inconsistency of my playing ;)

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    My couple of attempts with compressors weren't brilliant. I found it hard to dial them in - really just ended up using them as a clean boost and the point at which I could audibly hear them compressing always seemed too much effect (and below that why bother). They tend to be associated with clean slightly percussive styles like funk and country but plenty of players in those genres don't use them.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    There are a few reasons why you might want an always on comp. 
    The very squashy sound is a bit of a hallmark of country.
    Mild comp is very useful when you have to alternate single note and chords with a very clean sound (as in Funk) it also adds a nice shimmer. 
    If you have an insanely dynamic amp like a Twin you can stick the comp at the end and use it to ensure you don't accidently blow the roof off with a mistweaked OD. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ragingbenragingben Frets: 106
    I use a G-lab BC1 as an always on compressor to some degree. It's also on on my cleans live, softly for most t time and the b channel on it setup for squish for a few songs. I used to use a boss cs3 for real squishy stiff, but it was just too much, fully killed my dynamics at any setting. The BC1 is pretty subtle so it can be an always on a thing if you want it, but I prefer the amps natural compression on lead sounds to be honest.
  • ragingbenragingben Frets: 106
    Sorry a few autocorrects there that shouldn't be!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26745
    I use my compressor for 2 things- 

-Slide playing when you want a good chunk of sustain and power on every note.
    -Mega clean jangly chords. The comp just lets you switch your brain off a little more and not worry about your pick attack
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited August 2013
    My Keeley 2 knob compressor is always on but it's not set too squishy and I mainly play in function bands (variety of styles and a lot of funk). I just like what it does = adds smoothness/roundness to single notes, be they clean or distorted, tightens up funk rhythm parts and I like the percussive attack it gives and the nice jangle factor for cleans.
    @Octatonic He's right about natural compression from an amp and it sounds and feels lovely, and to date, I've only experienced that with an old Vibrolux, early Peavey 5150 and Hayseed (Vox clone) - none of them mine- hence, the pedal stays on as generally, my sound is lacking something without it and it seems to bring the amp to life.
    It does depend on which compressor you use as the effect of some, like a Dynacomp, are really obvious, and might seem obtrusive if left on. Supposedly, the new, mini-sized Xotic SP is a good versatile compressor
    that's a good 'leave on' one.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    What would be a good one for Funk/Disco kind of playing?
    Red ones are better. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited August 2013
    Keeley is good for funk with sustain beyond 12 o'clock and Analogman Bi-Comp is also a good one.
    I'm sure there are others
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    How about placing a tube compressor after an amp in a modeler? :)
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

@bigjon was using a Boss CS-3 last night through a Laney (not sure of the model) practise-size amp, and it sounded fantastic.

I'm not sure if it was the Goji modded one, or if it was my old (non-modded) one. Either way it sounded ace.......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ddlooping said:
    Do you mean to reduce the dynamic range in output level of an amplifier for a player who uses dynamic picking or the guitar volume to reduce the drive to the amp?
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    edited August 2013
    mike_l said:

@bigjon was using a Boss CS-3 last night through a Laney (not sure of the model) practise-size amp, and it sounded fantastic.

I'm not sure if it was the Goji modded one, or if it was my old (non-modded) one. Either way it sounded ace.......

Cheers for the compliment! It was the Goji-modded one (modded to reduce noise), and on all but the last song of the night it was going through the Fender Blues Junior, not the Laney LC15.
    My CS3 settings, pinched off Nick Mellor (GOTY winner 2002 IIRC) when I played in a band with him at college, are; volume 2 o'clock, tone 2 o'clock, attack 5 o'clock (max), sustain 5 o'clock (max)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    edited August 2013

I stand corrected on the amp, but it still sounded awesomes.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    edited August 2013
    If you use a compressor live could you shed some light on what you feel the compressor adds to the sound/performance?

I'd be interested to know what genres you play, what other gear you are using and what you feel the compressor brings to the party.  Do you turn it off for any special circumstances?  How much are you squashing things and what pedal are you using to do it?

Cheers
    To answer the OP, I use the Boss CS3 nearly all the time (not for jazz!). Sometimes with light overdrive but often not, as in this clip. Fast forward to 1:17 and you'll get a few seconds of rhythm followed by solo, it's just strat into  Boss CS3 with attack & sustain on full into delay into Solid-state amp on clean. I use it to get the sort of sustain you get from an overdriven tube amp but with a much cleaner sound. Also means if I strum chords as part of the solo there's no jump in volume, useful when playing in a three-piece as here.

• ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    ddlooping said:
    Do you mean to reduce the dynamic range in output level of an amplifier for a player who uses dynamic picking or the guitar volume to reduce the drive to the amp?
    Yes, exactly. :)
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited August 2013
    Well I've got my re amping gear, so I'll give it a try.  I read that having it after overdrive it can help a player, who uses dynamics, stay in the minx.
  • FezFez Frets: 499
    I use a Marshall Ed the compressor but only for clean sounds with single coil pups.
    Don't touch that dial.