Grump-update

MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
So, anyone who might recall there was a plagiarism thing where my group in a group work set of 5 lab-reports was copied to the score of 5 lab reports 3 were copied (absolutely, with no alterations, even keeping the silly mistakes like recording a speed in ns/m rather than the traditional m/s - though one of the 5 people copying did make the interesting choice to where we had photographed hand-written notes they re-wrote the notes and photographed the redone ones - again including a mistake...)...

Well from my group I got a text saying "have you seen the email? It says we got zero" ... (I'm actually paraphrasing, the group member's first language is not English AND she prefers txtspk to actually typing and relying on pesky autocorrect and autocomplete, the combined effect of which is requiring frequent "erm... come again?" replies)

Oh no!

Look at email - no email.

Oh.

Look in spam folder - no email.

Hmm.

Wait sort of not very patiently.

Ah ha! Email... lets get this read then appeal the hell out of it...

"Following the interview, and in light of all additional evidence provided by interviewing all implicated students, it was decided that, on the balance of probability, the student was not in any way involved in, or aware of any sharing of files between groups. As a consequence, the student is acquitted of the allegation and no penalty is imposed on their work in this instance."

Re-read it three times because my group member had stated it was zero... 

Oh. Yay.

Realise that the group member who, thinks that maybe the work was probably stolen from her computer while she maybe went to the loo after being asked about the coursework by maybe one of the maybe plagiarists which was apparently so memorably event that she committed it to memory for later, got zero but I didn't - don't feel remotely bad for the other group member because stress is over.

But I was stressing out to the point of being unable to concentrate or sleep for days when I should have been working on a coursework - a 10 page double columned, journal style literature review of 30 papers and lab reports on 10 labs, had a single day to do it, and having had the best nights sleep in ages the night before, woke up late... frantically type like the wind, submit a 6 page effort for a 10 page document...

So, there I was waiting for the marks back from the plagiarised work, a coursework that I'd completed in a blur of caffeine and typing while reading any relevant papers I could find, a group coursework that nearly resulted in a row between group members, and a coursework+presentation that I was fairly confident ... (and three exams but they haven't happened yet)

results back from plagiarism'd work - 75% not bad considering 25% of the group does not speak or write English well and none of us were really confident in Fourier Transfers type maths.

insane-caffeine-fuelled-typothon - 75% ... how? Only submitted 60% of the words I should have... don't complain!

row-inducing-group-work (really one group member didn't contribute an awful lot, but the night before a member said "is it a good time to talk about contribution percentages?" ... no, there's 20 hours left to submit, let alone rectify that) 84%

coursework+presentation 90% (unfortunately the presentation marks can't all count - he said afterwards that he'd scored me at 112% when added up, I could have done with those in the written piece which only scored 80%).

Also got a 100% mark on a coursework before all the worry over possibly re-sitting because another person might have been careless which was nice... I've never seen 100% on a coursework - wasn't the only one but, was nice to see

So the result of 3 months of long commutes, worry about plagiarism, ill health, despair, anger and an awful lot of caffeinated drinks (what sort of idiot does 4 hours of commuting a day?! without fizzy-go-juice I'd have been comatose some days) is that I didn't need to worry after all, and had I not been so concerned with worrying about the coursework going *poof* I'd have really knocked some great grades out.

Now even if I don't turn up for the exams I'm guaranteed a 2.1 and only need 50% in each to net a first... 

Next year someone else can do the worrying... 

This rambling was brough to you by the letters ... "got home late and had no one to be chuffed at after seeing grades late..."

Feel free to ignore. 
1reaction image LOL 19reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Good for you  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
    Myranda said:

This rambling was brough to you by the letters ... "got home late and had no one to be chuffed at after seeing grades late..."
    For many reasons, that's what we're here for...

Nice one :)
    <space for hire>
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Flipping awesome ! Go you !!!!!
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • Well done :) 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    Fantastic stuff, @Myranda - I'm so pleased that you're finally vindicated on the plagiarism stuff.   =)

Have they nailed the culprit(s), and (if so) have there been consequences?
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    What a result. 
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Thanks all... Knowing that even failing all three remaining exams would still get me a 2.1 really takes the pressure off so I can go in to each one relaxed and safe in the knowledge that 48% or more will score me a first overall. I normally hate exams because of the arbitrary tension added saying "your year of work might mean nothing because of this 90 minute test" so this should make for a much nicer exam experience

Nitefly said:
    Fantastic stuff, @Myranda - I'm so pleased that you're finally vindicated on the plagiarism stuff.   =)

Have they nailed the culprit(s), and (if so) have there been consequences?
     Unfortunately they decided to count all 5 labs (and the case study and marked-in-the-lab sessions) as one Coursework Reference Number... This means that those in the wrong got 0 and a assessment offence was recorded against their name... But only one. 

One individual I know won't pass on the resit coursework because they did so badly on the exam... But the remaining 4 I don't know. Feels a little consequence free for my taste, hardly the destroy them to the last of their line and salt the earth result I was hoping for. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26750
    Fantastic. Really pleased it's all sorted! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27579
    Aces - and well done overall too.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Really glad that this has been resolved in your favour.  You have clearly put lots of work in and deserve a 1st.  Please let us know your final results.  Well done.

• MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 448
    Congrats it all got sorted, shit that you had to go through it all beforehand mind...
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Awesome!

That was several lifetimes of stress but you got the result you wanted :)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
    The truth will out in the end, as they say.  I'm very happy for you.  Now, you owe me a valium for trying to read your machine-gun, random punctuation, rapid-fire style of writing in your first post.  I'm literally traumatised.  See what I did there ? :-)
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    Well done Myranda, a good result for a lot of stress and hard work. Shame the guilty parties didn't get penalised more but it sounds like they've got no idea and consequently might screw up their exams as a result. 
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

By the way (old man here who did fourier transforms and forgot them again decades ago) the cycle of stress and deadlines and people trying to get one over on you will continue until you retire.

I suggest you wind down, type slower, and rely less on the caffeine.  Your wits alone will be enough to get you through.

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Great results. Well done.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Well done Myranda, glad it worked out for you.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    Ravenous said:

By the way (old man here who did fourier transforms and forgot them again decades ago) the cycle of stress and deadlines and people trying to get one over on you will continue until you retire.

I suggest you wind down, type slower, and rely less on the caffeine.  Your wits alone will be enough to get you through.

As an old man who's still using Fourier Transforms, I'd just like to add that the cycle of stress and deadlines might continue but if you're doing something you actually enjoy it's sometimes actually fun. As for people and their irritating nature of being cockwombles, I find the better you get at what you do, the less you have to deal with them.
    As for less caffeine, are you mad? Programming is at least 25% caffeine based.

Congrats Myranda, you should be proud.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.