Marillion UK weekend

What's Hot
thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
Just about to set of for the 2017 UK Marillion weekend at De Montford Hall in Leicester.   Three nights of fantastic music with a great set of fan.  Blooming marvellous.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28336
    They look great fun. 

I'm not knocking Marillion, but I was madly in love with the Fish era, it was all happening during my brilliant years at college, the best time of life. I tried to like the Hogarth era but they lost me after 2 albums. Years later I bought up about 6 CDs to try and get into them, but I just couldn’t love the band any more. They were 'OK' but they were too different for me. I miss the searing guitar solos, yes there are still some, but not anything like as much as those early albums. 

I can't help thinking that they would have been better off changing their name, al least slightly. I have been to many Marillion related forums and general discussion places, and time and time again there is mighty fallout and bitching over the two eras. I think that they would have lost the 'disrespect' that sometimes haunts them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Have a great time. I'm a lapsed Web member, never been to any of the weekends though but that always look fantastic. 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4135
    Not been to a weekend. But I must have listened to Brave every day of my first year at uni.  Prefer the Hogarth material to the Fish stuff.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    edited April 2017
    Prefer the Hogarth material to the Fish stuff.

Nurse. @Grumpyrocker is out of his bed again ;-)
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    edited April 2017
    I was a huge fan of the Fish era Marilo and still am.  I like the music of the H era but I can't stand his nasal vocals. 

I have a few friends who do merch and stuff these weekends and they always rave about how good they are, enjoy.

@thumpingrug If you see a bloke called Alan on the merch stand call him Bobby Robson, it'll totally blow his mind

He's the bloke in shades on the right of this picture

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Thanks for your comments.   Wow what a fantastic weekend.  2500 fans for three full gigs.   Night 2 was most of Clutching at Straws and a big section from Misplaced.  Also did Market Square Heroes.    H has a different vocal style to Fish but after 27 years and 14 albums Ive sort of got used to it.  More breathy than nasal and when he goes for it soaring vocals.   Great interaction between fans.  Probably about 50-60 staying in the hotel I was in so chat and drinking at the hotel bar went on into the wee hours.  Band managers invited us to stay on at the venue  saturday night and probably around 500 took up the offer.  She and some of the band wandered around saying hi to people.   Great atmosphere.  Cant wait for 2019 when they do it again.

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    cj73 said:
    I was a huge fan of the Fish era Marilo and still am.  I like the music of the H era but I can't stand his nasal vocals. 

I have a few friends who do merch and stuff these weekends and they always rave about how good they are, enjoy.

@thumpingrug If you see a bloke called Alan on the merch stand call him Bobby Robson, it'll totally blow his mind

He's the bloke in shades on the right of this picture

Was too late to see this message but pretty sure this chap sold me a couple of t-shirts.  Ill try to remember next time Im a a gig.  The smiley lady in the glasses looks like someone I used to know.  Cant be her but looks very similar.

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I used to work with a chap who was a big fan. 

Couldn't understand why. Horses for courses I guess. He probably thinks my taste is music is odd too.