Funerals

What's Hot
So...my aunt died a couple of weeks ago, and the funeral's today. This is causing me problems.

First, I never seem to react to humans dying with anywhere near the same intensity as when one of our pets moves on...I do sort of wonder if this is something a bit broken there, probably related to my social ineptitude. Which, really, leads on to the more pertinent and immediate problem...

...I'm fine (ish) with modern funerals where it's supposed to be a celebration and everybody's swapping happy stories and stuff. This one, however, is a traditional funeral with everyone being somber and...I know I'm going to spend the whole time paranoid that said lack of social skills is going to end up with me offending one or more people. The issue is that her side of the family don't really know me and aren't likely to take my particular flavour of accidentally inappropriate comment (primarily injecting humour whenever things are a bit uncomfortable) very well.

Really dreading this :(
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Act subdued and respectful at the funeral. Save the jokes for the wake. That's what happens most of the time anyway. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    boogieman said:
    Act subdued and respectful at the funeral. Save the jokes for the wake. That's what happens most of the time anyway. 
    This.

When in doubt keep schtum, have some free booze and eat the sandwiches.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Pretend you have a bad flu and have lost your voice.
  • Just keep quiet and save the jokes for another time. It's one day about the person who has passed away, I don't think people spend energy on comparing levels of grief so don't worry about that.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    +1 to all above!
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    edited April 2017
    Jalapeno said:
    boogieman said:
    This.

When in doubt keep schtum, have some free booze and eat the sandwiches.
    Maybe avoid the booze?

Good luck, I'm sure it will be fine.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284

First, I never seem to react to humans dying with anywhere near the same intensity as when one of our pets moves on...I do sort of wonder if this is something a bit broken there, probably related to my social ineptitude. Which, really, leads on to the more pertinent and immediate problem...

I don't think that's weird, especially for a distant and possible elderly relation. The reason is I think is 2-fold. firstly I guess you spend more time with your pets than your Aunt so they are a much closer part of your family. Secondly you are directly responsible for the Pets well being, and at least when I have experienced the loss of a pet as well there's a huge element of guilt wrapped up in the grief where you think "if only I could have saved them etc".
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    Just stay in the background, it's pretty easy at a funeral. I hate funerals, I'm too emotional
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited April 2017
    Honestly you can't be that bad...

It was my g/f's mum's funeral last year. Her dad's mum is 'of a different era' shall we say... there was an unintentionally funny moment where after the service she came up to me and said "I've worked out who you remind me of - you look like my Jew friend". Every time I meet her she seems to ask if I'm Muslim or Jewish, or "are weddings different in your culture"... no, I've only ever lived in the U.K. but I usually have a beard so I guess that confuses some older people.

Later at the wake she came up to me saying she'd spoken to my dad at the service (who is from the Middle East) and said she'd told him the same thing. I phoned my dad, who couldn't attend the wake, and he said she'd come up to him and asked what church he attended (he was raised Christian FWIW) then said "oh, but you look like a Jew". He found it funny... Even my g/f found that funny in an obviously quite inappropriate way... I don't think you'll be anywhere near that bad.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

I don't think that's weird, especially for a distant and possible elderly relation. The reason is I think is 2-fold. firstly I guess you spend more time with your pets than your Aunt so they are a much closer part of your family. Secondly you are directly responsible for the Pets well being, and at least when I have experienced the loss of a pet as well there's a huge element of guilt wrapped up in the grief where you think "if only I could have saved them etc".

Also, I think pets are much more part of ourselves than people. We don't know how a dog or cat or hamster feels or thinks so we project human-style feelings and thoughts onto them. When a pet dies it's like a part of ourselves dies as well.

I've never cried at a person dying but I have cried at pets.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    Funerals are for the living, you can do nothing for the dead now. Respect the family and be lead by thier example. Your Aunt knew you as you and wouldn't have been offended by your actions I'm sure.
    I too find myself being aloof and cold at most funerals, it's just how I get by. I'm there to support others.
  • ourmaninthenorthourmaninthenorth Frets: 3418
    edited April 2017
    Everyone will be too busy worrying about their own thing to even cast a glance in your direction..trust me. 

Just be yourself..after all, who the fuck else can you be?

It'll be over before you know it. 
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    If in doubt, don't say anything ;)

I'd follow the herd in being polite and respectful, but you shouldn't feel obligated to keep talking. If asked just say you're reflecting on life etc :)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26565
    All done, and it was fine. I generally let my wife do the talking, and when I couldn't do that I hung around with my siblings and my cousin (same age as me). Phenomenal turnout - the church was absolutely packed. Nobody realised how many people she knew!
    <space for hire>
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5143

Do this, yes definitely do this^  B)
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    All done, and it was fine. I generally let my wife do the talking, and when I couldn't do that I hung around with my siblings and my cousin (same age as me). Phenomenal turnout - the church was absolutely packed. Nobody realised how many people she knew!

there was a huge funeral in our village down here in devon, weren't the same one was it?!?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    You English take your time over burying people. Here it would be done the same week.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!