do i need a latching or non-latching footswitch for katana channel change?

What's Hot
midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2341
boss katana 100, for a simple 1/2 chanel change, do i need a latching or non latching switch please?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    The website states the FS-5L which is latching. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited April 2017
    The website states the FS-5L which is latching. 
    These retail for £38 & you need batteries - ridiculous.

Get one of these instead from DV247 for £5.99. I have two myself - exactly the same thing, and they can even slot together in exactly the same way - and you don't need batteries with the VM22:

http://www.dv247.com/keyboards-and-midi/bespeco-vm22-on-off-switch--215583

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 842

+1 on the Bespeco above.

I had one knocking around from years ago - works just fine on my 50 watter.

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Another plus one on the Bespeco - I use 2 slotted together to access the FX on my Roland Bass Cube
  • great info thanks, yes , not paying £38 for the boss, will go for the cheapy one, many thanks
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    edited May 2017
    Ello fellas.

Just wondered how the £5.99 Bespeco has been working for you all?

I have the Katana 50, and agree that the boss fs-5l is pretty steep for what it is, + needing a battery!

About to order the Bespeco from dv247, just wondered if it does actually work fine?

Think the only thing I can do with the 50 watt is switch between 2 channels, so that's all I'd need it for.
    I presume its just a standard guitar cord that's needed too to link them up?

Cheers all
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2341
    i never got one in the end, have found a ga fc (katana 112) on ebay so ive ordeed that one.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited May 2017
    I've got both. If you want the light to work (which I did) then obviously they both need a battery.

The problem with the Bespeco is that the switch turns on without a jack attached and illuminates the light which drains the battery. So I'd get it out of my leads bag and find that it had turned on and drained the battery. That doesn't happen with the Boss unit, which will only switches on with a jack attached.

Also, the Boss unit has a polarity switch which might be useful depending on what you're using it with.

Personally I prefer the Boss unit which is much better made. But if you don't use the light and you don't need the polarity switch, the Bespeco might be best for you.
    It's not a competition.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited May 2017
    I've got both. If you want the light to work (which I did) then obviously they both need a battery.

The problem with the Bespeco is that the switch turns on without a jack attached and illuminates the light which drains the battery. So I'd get it out of my leads bag and find that it had turned on and drained the battery. That doesn't happen with the Boss unit, which will only switches on with a jack attached.

Also, the Boss unit has a polarity switch which might be useful depending on what you're using it with.

Personally I prefer the Boss unit which is much better made. But if you don't use the light and you don't need the polarity switch, the Bespeco might be best for you.
    Thats odd - doesn't do that on my Bespeco switches. Also. mine have a polarity switch - looks like they've changed the design since I bought mine. But hey, for £6 its still a bargain. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    Voxman said:

Thats odd - doesn't do that on my Bespeco switches. Also. mine have a polarity switch - looks like they've changed the design since I bought mine. But hey, for £6 its still a bargain. 
    I got my Bespeco last year from Amazon. I wonder sometimes whether there are some slightly dodgy clones if you go down that route.

It's not a competition.
    I'd just be using it to switch between the 2 channels on the Katana, like the OP.
    Just wondered if the bespeco did indeed work fine with that.

Also, whats the polarity then?
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    skunkwerx said:
    I'd just be using it to switch between the 2 channels on the Katana, like the OP.
    Just wondered if the bespeco did indeed work fine with that.

Also, whats the polarity then?
    I think it changes which part of the plug gets switched, either the tip or the ring. 
    Which changes wether the footswitch activates the channel change when 'on' or 'off' 

So imagine you have a little red led that lights up, you can decide if you want it lit on channel 1 or channel 2. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    Ahh got ya. Cheers bud!