In Praise of POD HD & burying my tone obsession

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    For me, much of the fun of this sort of unit is the tweaking.

I also like playing.

I don't see the two as incompatible. Some days are tweaking days, some days are playing days. Some days don't feature guitar at all (sorry!).
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    ddlooping said:
    I've just found out something I'm not too happy with: the output option (Studio direct, Combo front, Combo power amp, etc...) apply both to the 1/4" and XLR outputs.
    That means I can't set the 1/4" to Combo amp (plugged into Mustang III return) and the XLR to Studio direct (straight to PA mixer). :(
    How stupid is that??? :| 
    You know what you need Guvnor a nice DT-25 or DT-50 and that will sort it i.e. L6 link to DT amp and outputs set for FRFR.   ;)

Only joshing @ddlooping I realise that you are trying to simplify and lose the weight of a valve amp etc, but I can confirm that the above does work fine (when I can be arsed to set it up that is).
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    johnnyurq said:
    ddlooping said:
    I've just found out something I'm not too happy with: the output option (Studio direct, Combo front, Combo power amp, etc...) apply both to the 1/4" and XLR outputs.
    That means I can't set the 1/4" to Combo amp (plugged into Mustang III return) and the XLR to Studio direct (straight to PA mixer). :(
    You know what you need Guvnor a nice DT-25 or DT-50 and that will sort it i.e. L6 link to DT amp and outputs set for FRFR.   ;)

Only joshing @ddlooping I realise that you are trying to simplify and lose the weight of a valve amp etc, but I can confirm that the above does work fine (when I can be arsed to set it up that is).
    If you can't be bothered to set it up, sell it to me :)
    (The DT25, that is)
    By the way, does the DT25 power up the HD500 via the Line 6 Link?
  • TPReggieTPReggie Frets: 22
    johnnyurq said:

I would love to have the DT25 to compliment the HD500 I have, but it is too pricey and everything seems sooo complicated. I am considering selling the HD500 to get a simple small valve amp like the HT5 and basic effects to simplify things, and then get a smaller desktop modeller to use for practising/recording as I don't have much space.
  • Yes the DT25 is way overpriced. It's just a small EL84 power amp fed with four of the POD HD models. And once you hook up a POD HD to it you're only using the EL84 power section. 

You could buy a Lanay Cub 12R head for £200 and plug the POD HD into the effects return and save £400. Okay you lose the DT25's fancy power amp switching, but nothing else.

• TPReggieTPReggie Frets: 22
    Yes the DT25 is way overpriced. It's just a small EL84 power amp fed with four of the POD HD models. And once you hook up a POD HD to it you're only using the EL84 power section. 

You could buy a Lanay Cub 12R head for £200 and plug the POD HD into the effects return and save £400. Okay you lose the DT25's fancy power amp switching, but nothing else.
    Yeah, looked at those, 15 Watts is a little much to be honest for what I need, hence the HT5 or an Egnator Tweaker I think was the other one I was looking at because I think you can set that to lower outputs. 
    ddlooping;15636" said:
    johnnyurq said:

ddlooping said:

If you can't be bothered to set it up, sell it to me :)(The DT25, that is)By the way, does the DT25 power up the HD500 via the Line 6 Link?

Haha if/when I upgrade to a DT-50 or some future DT series amp I will give you first refusal for sure.

It is only because I am not gigging these days that it is a ballache to setup as I have no real incentive, but I am getting back into setting up tones and rigs again so s'all good.

Unfortunately the L6 link doesn't include powering the POD as an option, now I know what I will ask for at yonder site.

The thing is the DT-25 is great as part of the whole "dream rig" (hate that phrase BTW) it is very very good but it is also a very good valve amp in its own right and jacking into it directly all my guitars sound great through it even when using some stompies.

It is not too heavy as well which is a bonus and my FRFR setup for synth and acoustic tones are much heavier to schlepp around, but worth it for the tone etc.
    Grumpyrocker;15785" said:
    Yes the DT25 is way overpriced. It's just a small EL84 power amp fed with four of the POD HD models. And once you hook up a POD HD to it you're only using the EL84 power section. 

Agreed the price now is quite high and I am glad that I got in early (early adopter syndrome alert) because today's prices are significantly higher.

For sure if you use it through the FX return it doesn't do much extra than any other EL84 power section although using an HD POD like this but it does seem to have the edge tonally over the 2 other EL84 equipped amps I had until recently (Vox AC-30C2X & 16W H & K Tubemeister) plus an EL34 equipped 100W Switchblade.

How much of that was down to using the HD POD which may be optimised for the DT-25 compared to my other amps. The other amps brought something else tonally to the table but to my ears the DT-25 edged it tonally and weight wise (except the Tubemeister which weighed less natch).

This why I sold on my other amps after a direct comparison and exclusively use the DT using L6 link with FRFR active speakers for acoustic.

Of course to my ears in a comparison with these other amps when I used the L6 link it improved even more markedly, I hasten to add this is to my ears in a direct comparison YMMV.

So it seems to me as though using the L6 link may have further optimisation that is not apparent on the other amps, or some other Line 6 voodoo we are unaware of it does sound great.

But to my ears there was a definite tonal improvement using the L6 link versus jacking in to the other amps FX returns and setting the POD for the appropriate output setting and indeed set as for an FRFR output.

As I say the caveat is we all have a subjective idea of tone and for me the winner was the full monty of the so called "dream rig" so YMMV, of course I could be mental and my brian is compensating for the amount of expenditure for the setup but I reckon I am for sure hearing the difference.
    johnnyurq said:
    So it seems to me as though using the L6 link may have further optimisation that is not apparent on the other amps, or some other Line 6 voodoo we are unaware of it does sound great.
    I think the L6 Link is digital so, if that's the case, it removes the need for a couple of D/A & A/D conversions.
    That might explain why it's perceived as sounding better.
    ddlooping said:
    I think the L6 Link is digital so, if that's the case, it removes the need for a couple of D/A & A/D conversions.

That might explain why it's perceived as sounding better.
    That is a valid point and I believe you are spot on plus less electronic gubbins in the signal path could mean a better tone.

Of course as Line 6 make all the kit in the rig it makes sense they would optimise it for their own gear to help sales a bit. 

Cynical moi?
    johnnyurq said:
    That is a valid point and I believe you are spot on plus less electronic gubbins in the signal path could mean a better tone.

Of course as Line 6 make all the kit in the rig it makes sense they would optimise it for their own gear to help sales a bit. 

Cynical moi?
    Non, pas du tout. :)
    Haha ta very much but you obviously haven't met me though, mind you to be fair I am only a wee touch (or soupcon) cynical.  :)
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    edited August 2013
    I don't have a pod hd but I do have a dt25 and I've got to say it's a great valve Amp in its own right. I get that some people think it's pricey for what it is but really it's 4 Amps in one plus you can use it at very low volumes and it still sounds great. If it had an aux or line in it would make it the best practice/gigging Amp I've ever played.
    I no longer gig and my amount of free time for playing is less than I'd like so my only gripe I have (and this would go for all value amps I guess) is that by the time I've waited for the Amp to warm up I've lost valuable playing time. I want to try one of the new blackstar Id amps to see if that's my solution.
    grungebob said:
    I don't have a pod hd but I do have a dt25 and I've got to say it's a great valve Amp in its own right. I get that some people think it's pricey for what it is but really it's 4 Amps in one plus you can use it at very low volumes and it still sounds great. If it had an aux or line in it would make it the best practice/gigging Amp I've ever played.
    I no longer gig and my amount of free time for playing is less than I'd like so my only gripe I have (and this would go for all value amps I guess) is that by the time I've waited for the Amp to warm up I've lost valuable playing time. I want to try one of the new blackstar Id amps to see if that's my solution.
    First dibs on your DT25! :D
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    ddlooping;16744" said:
    grungebob said:

First dibs on your DT25! :D
    Lol I wasn't planning on selling but I'll keep you in mind if I do :-)
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7141
    So I have a DT25 head, cab and an HD500. Its pretty good, but I hardly use the HD500 if I'm honest. Currently I'm in straight to amp mode with my playing, yet I occasionally need to use FX for studio work.

I think the amp is pretty good and I love the fact that at home at low volumes it sounds good. My issue with the HD500 is the routing of it is all a bit a a faff. If it wasn't for the software for my Mac I don't think I would have the patience as I'm a lazy sod.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway