Victory V40 good? alternatives?

What's Hot
wingo84wingo84 Frets: 42
Aside from selling all my guitars and FX and starting afresh, I am also looking at replacing my Hot Rod Deluxe Tweed.

Basically I'm looking for something clean and versatile. I play mainly Funk but often get dragged into depping for a variety of bands playing all sorts. 

I like the the option to switch to a lower wattage as practicing with my HRD is impossible at home due to the fact that as it makes a sound it is rattling the walls. 

The V40 looks interesting but can't seem to find many reviews out there. I have an extension cab for my HRD (the matching tweed 112 cab) which I'd be tempted to keep to use with the new head I buy... good idea? 

I have used used this one amp for all my amplification needs over the past 10 years so I'm a bit out the loop on stuff right now. Any help appreciated! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    edited April 2017
    I played through an HRD3 for years but needed something lighter and something I could set to lower output for home use.

I tried the option of a V40 through a separate 1x12 cab. It was OK but I missed the convenience of a combo plus being able to simply tilt the amp/cab back using a floor mount amp stand.

I've settled on a Roland Blues Cube Artist 1×12, which was the best fit for my needs and I sold the other amps. I actually prefer it to both other amps, but we all have different tastes.

I've heard the Boss Katana is worth checking out, and less expensive, but I haven't tried one yet.

It's not a competition.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17597
    tFB Trader
    I have only played a V40 once but I was quite underwhelmed. I played it alongside my puretone and it sounded very flat in comparison.
  • I have only played a V40 once but I was quite underwhelmed. I played it alongside my puretone and it sounded very flat in comparison.

That's quite an amp, the Puretone... 

You can find them, occasionally, for not a huge sum of money too. 
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    Lack of treble sparkle and bass heavy tone crops up in v40 observations, its what curbed my interest in it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    edited April 2017
    The V40 is a great amp, it is voiced a little dark at low volume but shines when opened up especially with a good boost or drive pedal in front.

The new V40 Deluxe is voiced a bit brighter and has trem and spring reverb

• wingo84wingo84 Frets: 42

The new one is slightly out of my range! I have some decent pedals so gonna try it out somewhere ... I think there's a dealer near York, don't look like they're open Sundays which is a shame! 
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    The V40 is great. There are plenty of tonal options available from the EQ controls, the two Voices and the mid-kick. Can be played at low volume easily, or you can crank it. Sounds great through the matching cab. Takes pedals really well. The paint on the unit smells nice when the tubes warm up.
  • wingo84wingo84 Frets: 42
    Philtre said:
    The paint on the unit smells nice when the tubes warm up.
    Sold! 

I am am very tempted mind, I won't be buying the cab though... not at first (£££). I'll just make do with my fender cab for a while... 

loving the responses.

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    I ran mine at first with a closed back 1x12 Celestion V30 (Orange PPC112). It sounded OK but me and a guitar buddy felt that it needed more breathing space at louder volume. So I got the matching 1x12 cab (open back Creamback) and it really came alive with that. Expensive for a cab, but sounds great and looks great. Smells OK, too.
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    I'd echo the bass heavy thing. I had my bass almost off and treble almost full with my les Paul. The overdrive tones have a much nicer compression than the v30 clean channel but I still found it a bit spiky. Wasn't particularly impressed with the reverb. But it was a handy size for lugging around, and loud. 
    Certianly not a bad amp but overall I found it a bit bland and lacking in any real character. So great as a pedal platform but never really enjoyed playing it on its own.