Q: Correct tuner bushes/ferrules MIM 60s Classic neck and Gotoh SD91 Vintage Tuners?

What's Hot
I picked up some used Gotoh SD91 Vintage Tuners With Split Posts to fit on a used MIM 60s Classic neck.

Hmm. The ferrules that came with the tuners don't fit (just too small) and neither do the Gotoh 10mm Conversion Bushing for SD90 and SD91 Series Tuning Machines (just too big). Dagnabbit. Anyone know for sure which will work with neck and tuners?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    edited April 2017 tFB Trader
    Pretty sure the 60s Classic has Ping tuners with 9.2mm bushes and a 6mm post diameter.
    Gotohs are 6.35mm post diameter.
    I don't think you can find a suitable bush unless AVRI tuners have that particular combination.
    My suggestion for a non- destructive fix would be to use the SD91 bushes (8.8mm) and make a sleeve to get a tight fit.
    http://axecaster.co.uk/blog/?p=832
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2261
    Thanks Gavin very helpful
    I might pop these into the parts draw for another built (or post here for sale) and get the right spec Pings.
    Do Axecaster have a direct fit for the lovely '60s Classic neck?

• gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    I'm afraid not. As far as I know Ping are the only brand with that particular 9.2mm bush size and I don't carry them.
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    http://www.amberguitar.com/home/152-faber-6-in-line-split-post-tuners.html

These come with around 9.1mm bushes. Only difference is they're not split post. 

http://www.amberguitar.com/home/152-faber-6-in-line-split-post-tuners.html

These come with around 9.1mm bushes. Only difference is they're not split post. 

Great thanks for sharing. 9.1 seems an unusual choice. Not seen that before but I guess close enough to consider.
    That's just going off my calipers.

.1 of a mm is probably within the margin of error!
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    That's interesting; I want some new machine-heads for a recently acquired Wilko Johnson (same neck) with very tarnished ones. Sounds like it's more problematic than I'd hoped. The bushings on mine are also raised a bit above the hole. Is plumber's tape the best way to keep them firmly down in the hole?
    edited May 2017
    scarry67 said:
    That's interesting; I want some new machine-heads for a recently acquired Wilko Johnson (same neck) with very tarnished ones. Sounds like it's more problematic than I'd hoped. The bushings on mine are also raised a bit above the hole. Is plumber's tape the best way to keep them firmly down in the hole?
    That'll work.

You can use a little bit of superglue in the hole too, if you're careful with it. But normally a few winds of PTFE will do the trick.
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    Just done the bushings with PTFE. Fiddly and not entirely successful aesthetically (still a bit lifted) but they're solid. A bit of superglue might indeed have helped. Next time...
    No probs. After a little messaging, the vendor has agreed to take them back. 

These are the right spec, I understand:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122482269664?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT