NAD#2: '68 Vox AC30

HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
Picked this up too...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    Nice, how does it sound?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    edited April 2017
    Like it needs a damn good service - all the unmistakeable Vox tones are present, but it's pretty noisy.

However, for the money, I paid, I'm very pleased.

It's also (as you can see) very grubby - luckily, this seems to be removeable with some elbow grease.

Replacement vents are being acquired, and handles will be sorted soon.

NB. It came from a friend-of-a-friend, so I know a *little* of it's history. Acquired by the current owner in 1987, it was looked after by Dave Petersen until the amp was retired from active service a while ago. It came with a small bundle of schematics and stuff from Dave.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• Where do you even...

Do you know what, I'm not even going to ask where you find these treasures. I'll just admire from afar! 

A good clean and service will have that running sweet as a nut I should think, it looks awesome! 

Looks like a much, much more complex circuit than a lot of expensive fender type amps that have just a handful of components inside... so it's probably just as well there are schematics!
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9610
    I love an old AC30... no two are ever the same!

If you took out the Vib-Trem, the amp would be only half as complex.
  • I love an old AC30... no two are ever the same!

That's interesting. 

It's not my favourite amp to use (Vox style I'm referring to) but I really think the vox edge of dirty sound is surely one of the finest things to grace ears. I'd *love* a nice old one, but I'd be too worried about picking up a lemon... This one looks incredible though. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    I love an old AC30... no two are ever the same!

But doesn't sound as great...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein