Blackstar ID:60 combo don't sound (problem)

What's Hot
thangbvthangbv Frets: 0
My ID:60 combo don't sound sometime. All lights and controls are on as normal. Insider software connects to the amp with controls are effective. I changed patches in Insider software and observed amp's lights change accordingly. Everything looks perfect. It just don't sound: for guitar input, nor Insider's audio playback.

I faced this problem about a year ago. Checked all circuit board, everything looked fine. One beautiful day it worked again like no problem before. And today (when I am really in need of it), it just don't sound.

Please help!!! (I've got the latest firmware installed before today)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    edited April 2017
      You don't say how old the amp is or where you bought it, so I don't know if you have a manufacturer and/or store warranty.  If you do, get the amp sorted under warranty.   Intermittent problems like this are a nuisance, and you often need to work through a process of elimination so if there is no warranty, the following steps might be helpful.

1. These types of amp are not dis-similar to computers.  First thought is that there might be a software file-path corruption. If so, a factory re-set (which is akin to a computer reboot) will often fix a multitude of sins.  However, you will lose any custom patches you've made so if you want to save these make sure you back them up on your computer with the relevant software for your amp.

2. If its not a software issue, then there must be a physical problem. It may simply be a dirty or loose electrical connection.  Remove the back of the amp to access the speaker and check that the speaker terminal connections are clean and tight. Clean all your jack sockets front and back in case these are oxidised, especially headphone and fx loop which are typically a 'switching' type jack that can get stuck.  Use an electrical switch cleaner that is safe to use on plastics. Spray some cleaner in the socket & then push a jack plug in/out several times, and allow a minute or two to dry.  I use and recommend Servisol Super 10 in the red & white can.

Image result for servisol super 10
    http://www.ukwholesale.info/products/servisol-super-10-switch-cleaning-lubricant-701100.html

3. If none of the above resolve the problem, then there may be a loose connector internally.  If you are able to open the amp up yourself, check that all the push/pull connectors are tight.  Take a look also at solder joints - a dry/cracked solder joint may be the culprit.  Look at the circuit board to see if there is any 'muck' on it, and if so clean it gently with a cotton-wool pad and alcohol (in fact might not be a bad idea to clean it anyway).  

4. If you cannot see anything obvious, and/or are not comfortable in opening up your amp, then its time to get it checked over by a professional.  The problem with DSP amps is that not all amp techs are familiar with the technology and/or may not have the relevant tools to test everything properly eg the DSP processor.  Your best bet would be returning the amp to Blackstar to be checked/repaired - if there is no warranty you might be charged, but its also possible you might not be.  Best thing to do is to call Blackstar, explain the problem, and see what they suggest - you can also discuss how best to get the amp to them and costs involved (they may have a process for this).

Let us know how you get on.  

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1591

+44 (0)1604 817815

Give Blackstar a call above or you can go to their website and fill in an enquiry form (yes! I hate those as well!)

Unless the problem is on the power reg' board ot the PA it is unlikely any local tech will fix it. The 'computer' bits are all SMT. This is I fear the price we pay for huge processing power, tiny kit and low cost!

Dave.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11674
    If everything on the panel looks ok and it responds to insider and panel controls as it should, the computer bit is probably OK.

Given as it is intermittent - could it be as simple as a loose cable to the speaker?

Does it work with headphones?  I'd definitely try that.  If it does everything is probably ok up to the power amp, and that means its more likely to be a simple loose connection?
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Check the crimp connectors on the speaker - I know some people will disagree :), but it's a simple fact that a noticeable proportion of all this type of fault I come across are caused by these... the bad connection is more commonly between the wire and the connector than between the connector and the terminal.

Some speakers - Eminence, and some others - also have the cone braids crimped into the terminals rather than soldered, this is an occasional point of failure as well. If so you can fix it by soldering them. I can't remember if the Blackstar speakers are like that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1591

I don't know what the actual speaker is in the ID-60 but it is probably a Celestion and therefore unlikely to have a 'pigtail' problem. I also never had  a crimp issue with a speaker lead but worth a wiggle of course.

However, if the amp shows power in the fault condition OP could place Mk1 lug by the speaker, there should be SOME residual noise. N.B there is no form of signal switching on the speaker jack, they go straight to the class D power amp.

Oh! While we are on 'connectors' and intt' faults? A very few Series Ones had badly made looms(way back) and I am sorry amp techs but the only solution is to take each receptacle out of the moulding, reset it and put it back. Thick end of an hour's work. The problem can manifest in all sorts of odd faults...at odd times of course!

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    ecc83 said:

I don't know what the actual speaker is in the ID-60 but it is probably a Celestion and therefore unlikely to have a 'pigtail' problem.

Isn't it the Blackstar OEM 'Blackbird 70'? If so, not a Celestion - but not an Eminence either. I'm not sure exactly what it is…

ecc83 said:

However, if the amp shows power in the fault condition OP could place Mk1 lug by the speaker, there should be SOME residual noise.

Good point. If there's even the slightest hiss or hum then the fault is not between the power amp and the speaker.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson