How high do you wear your guitar?

What's Hot
and does it vary from guitar to guitar?

evwn after all this time I struggle with strap lengths. I really want my guitar at "guitar teacher" height but I also don't want to look an absolute dork

I also find that certain guitars need to be a little higher than others for instance a custom 24 needs to be about 2 inches closer than a Les Paul etc 

what avout you guys?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    It varies with guitar. I guess it's partly body shape, and partly neck radius. I wear a 335 quite high, with the neck angled upwards putting the machine heads level with my eyes, and always barre with my first finger. A Telecaster wants to hang horizontal, with the neck pointing out in front, and is much more "thumb over" territory. 

Gratuitous pic:

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited April 2017
    Roland said:
    It varies with guitar. I guess it's partly body shape, and partly neck radius. I wear a 335 quite high, with the neck angled upwards putting the machine heads level with my eyes, and always barre with my first finger. A Telecaster wants to hang horizontal, with the neck pointing out in front, and is much more "thumb over" territory. 

Gratuitous pic:

I agree about 335s - they need to be worn high.

I wear Strats lower - but not so low that barring is difficult. If the angle between the left forearm and hand when barring is less than 90 degrees - the guitar is too low for me.

Not very rock and roll - but after 45 years of playing I have no hand problems.
  • All the same height, all the same height as they'd be sat down with the guitar on my fretting hand leg with my foot on a footrest (always wear the strap anyway).
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Somewhere between where I should, and where it would look cool!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    Where it feels comfortable, which these days seems to be higher than it used to be.

I tend to play my acoustics and  Gretsches quite high - although not quite in the Nick Heyward stylie!

The Strat and Rickenbacker a bit lower.

How anybody can play their guitar with it down by their ankles (a la Peter Hook) is beyond me - they must have bloody long arms!
    We are all Chameleons...
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    I tend to have fenders higher and gibsons lower. A LP looks and feels wrong played up high, needs to be belt buckle kinda height. I don't really like my SG up too high either, have it a bit higher than I'd have an LP and it always hangs to my side a bit rather than straight on if that makes sense. 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3068
    Lp at belt height and Strats at tummy height. They've both got higher over the years. I used to have my LP at Page 73 height
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I have my LP so that my belt buckle is exactly in the middle of the body. That's fairly low but I'm a short arse. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    High enough that it's all but strangling me.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
    the height changes as my belly gets bigger :) ...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72295
    With the neck more or less horizontal and the strings at belt-buckle height.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    ICBM said:
    You are Simon Cowell and I claim my £5
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72295
    ICBM said:
    You are Simon Cowell and I claim my £5
    lol

That would make me Nick Heyward too :).

No, I wear 501s with the belt to stop them falling down too far ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I wear mine quite high. Probably something to do with starting out as a bass player in the 80's.

Who knows.
  • usedtobe said:
    Somewhere between where I should, and where it would look cool!
    This ⬆️
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6874
    ummm... Am I doing it wrong then?

photo explorer_zps54btinh9jpg
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Like many others on here, I wear mine at belt buckle height.

Image result for Gangster Sagging Pants
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Higher than George Michael.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7333
    it varies from strap to strap as is the size of your fat gut that dictates height.

I have had to purchase some ne straps as the vintage Fender that came with my Strat in 70s is now too small for me/it
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I have quite long arms so if I'm not shredding then I can get away with having it quite low.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."