Quick question for anyone using Helix with Yamaha DXR

rich75rich75 Frets: 36
I've been running an XLR lead from my Helix into channel 1 of my Yamaha DXR10 and it hasn't been as loud as I would have expected. The Helix output and DXR input are both set to line level

Yesterday I decided to try hooking up one of the Helix 1/4 inch outputs (also set to line level) to channel 2 of the DXR with a normal guitar lead and the difference in volume was massive.

Given that both units were set to line level in both cases I would have expected the volume to be similar, so I just want to make sure I don't have a problem with either the Helix or the speaker.

The volume control is set to control the XLR and 1/4 inch outputs so it isn't anything to do with that.

Has anyone else had a similar experience or is it just me?

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Dont gave the dxr.. but try turning the xlr volume knob assign off on the helix . That way it should default to unity gain.  Might make a difference. 
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    edited April 2017
    Try a different XLR lead, the other may be faulty - I've had this with cables.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    My DXR is the same, loads louder when using the 1/4 in, and noisier too.  Haven't really investigated as I use the XLR input using a jack-XLR cable from the 1/4 out on the Helix and it's more than loud enough
  • I use XLR to XLR from my Axe FX, but yes, the DXR is quieter than when I use the 1/4 jack, you're not alone.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    What have you got the level control next to the XLR in set to? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • rich75rich75 Frets: 36
    Thanks for the replies all. Sounds as if the XLR channel on the DXR just runs quieter than the 1/4 inch channel.

The level control next to the XLR has been set to line level to match what the helix output level is set to, so I just would have expected the volume to be similar on both input channels on the DXR given that they're both meant to be line level.

I can work round it but just wanted to check nothing was faulty. 

Thanks  :)

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    rich75 said:
    Thanks for the replies all. Sounds as if the XLR channel on the DXR just runs quieter than the 1/4 inch channel.

The level control next to the XLR has been set to line level to match what the helix output level is set to, so I just would have expected the volume to be similar on both input channels on the DXR given that they're both meant to be line level.

There's a *switch* that says line/mic and then a *control* knob which centers on zero with attenuation and gain - where is that set?  Turn it up :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • rich75rich75 Frets: 36
    TimmyO said:
    rich75 said:

There's a *switch* that says line/mic and then a *control* knob which centers on zero with attenuation and gain - where is that set?  Turn it up :-) 
    Lol - I had kind of worked out that turning up that knob would make it louder  ;) It was pretty much flat out which is what I thought was a bit odd. 

When I say the two channels are different in terms of volume I mean when they are apparently both set the same on their respective volume controls.
  • StinkfootStinkfoot Frets: 74

I've also just taken the FRFR leap with a Helix/DXR10 combination. Been extremely happy with some of the patches I've downloaded but also am a bit confused re the difference in results I'm getting between using the 1/4 inch and XLR connections.

The XLR sounds great and really low-noise through the DXR10. The 1/4 inch sounds quite noisy regardless of whether I select line or instrument level output settings (have tried a few different cables and always the same results).

I had hoped to run it so that I'd connect 1/4 inch to the DXR10 with the big volume knob only affecting my own monitor level, and then sending XLR straight out to the desk with no interaction when I'm changing volume levels on the Helix. But unless I can solve the issue with the noise I'm getting, it doesn't seem like that option is going to be available to me.

Any thoughts whether this might be a fault with the Helix outputs, a DXR10 'feature', or an element of numptiness on my part somewhere?

cheers!

• exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    The specs for the DXR / DSR Speakers quote different sensitivities for the XLR and Jack Inputs. The XLR are set to +11 dBu and the Jacks -3 dBU so the Jack input will be 14 dBs louder.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Try a DI box inline
    the 1/4 are a lot hotter
    where do you have the volume knob?
    i have mine at noon or less when I'm doing this into an amp

yep, I also have been keeping the volume no higher than half way when running into the DXR. Perhaps it's just a case of finding the right balance between the volume settings on the Helix and the DXR. I'd just assumed it should be a nice quiet signal when not running either at extreme volumes.

At least the XLR does the job nicely anyway.

I found exactly the same problem, it's the DXR10 not the Helix.   For some reason the 1/4" input is noisy with any input source.  I just use a jack-XLR cable from the Helix 1/4" out to the XLR in on the DXR and use it exactly as you say,  using the volume knob to adjust my monitoring level.   Works a treat.

That's great - I'll give that a go then.

Really pleased with the sound though so far. Now just need to take that next step and leave my amp at home for the next gig....gulp!

Stinkfoot said:

That's great - I'll give that a go then.

Really pleased with the sound though so far. Now just need to take that next step and leave my amp at home for the next gig....gulp!

After one rehearsal with my Helix I haven't used an amp since, it'll be fine ;)