Fuzz improvement pedals

What's Hot
lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
edited May 2017 in FX
I have a top grade Sonus germanium nkt275 fuzz as a faithful recreation of a 68 fuzzface (tested against 4 original 67/68 ff units each with its own sound and the sonus didn't feel out of place). Can't do better than that, right? Well, I'd like to suggest there are some pedals that can help modify (improve to my ears) the fuzz. With an eye on other modern fuzz makers I have the impression that some of these pedals are being incorporated into the ff circuit. Could someone please confirm this?
The first pedal is one you are warned to keep afar from fuzz: a buffer. 
I have a wah/fuzz buffer from screaminFX. Its  job is to fix the oscillation problem between wah and fuzz, similar to the Foxrox wah mod and the like. You set it at the right level and leave it at that. Some wahs offer it as an external feature such as the sonus greyfox. The screaminFX buffer gives mild overdrive at lower settings better than any drive I've heard, and full on explosive bursting fuzz at higher levels with an extra notch to help with bigmuffs I'm told. I added a true bypass as I was convinced it changed the clean wah tone, a change in tone some wah builders distinguish between 67/69 wahs. The bypass also allows me to dial in the fuzz most similar to the unbuffered fuzz. It gets close but isn't as wooly, the difference between the original Hendrix recording of Fire compared to later ones. 
The second pedal I use to improve the fuzz is the chase tone secret Preamp. Placed afterwards it gives more hair and definition to the fuzz, more ammunition before it all explodes into the amp. I have suggested that the sp should be considered as part of the amp's circuit for bringing fuzz alive. 
Some compressors and overdrive can't handle a fuzz. Some eqs too. Vibes and wahs too. Effect on fuzz is probably best suited for another thread. Here I hope we can suggest some pedals that can be incorporated into the fuzz signal to modify/improve it. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    Graphic EQ is always worth combining with fuzz. Before or after. Sometimes better sometimes worse. But good fun all the same.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Eq before fuzz may or may not alter the guitar/fuzz interaction. Eq after fuzz may suffer from compression. My blue MXR 6-band eq suprisingly works well, although I haven't put it through its paces.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    I like the sound of a FF into an amp-like drive to  add some compression and stop it getting too muddy at full fuzz settings.  The broadcast on low gain is good for this. The wah/fuzz face problem is something I haven't tackled yet but your insight is useful, thanks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    The whole wah/fuzz problem is best explained by screaminFX themselves. Nice to see they offer a Boss pedal in bypass mode as a quick solution.
    http://screaminfx.com/guitar-stompbox-and-boutique-pedals/clarionix-guitar-buffer-pedal-with-fuzz-safe.htm
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited May 2017
    I'm just losing all buffers before my FF from now on Keeping it simple now
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    edited July 2020
    Edit