Droopy Wah!

What's Hot
GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
My wah pedal can't keep it up! Pedal keeps flopping to toe down. It's an old Roger Mayer in an equally old Dunlop Cry Baby enclosure. The screws holding the leaf spring are now fully tight and that didn't help. I've tried dripping titelock in the spindle and that works for a few days before the droop returns, even tried dripping CA into the hinge and again, thats a temporary fix. The cam and ratchet tightner think is all adjusted correctly.

Any ideas on how to fix this or is the easiest thing looking for a knackered wah and rehousing it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    If you do need an old/knackered wah I've got one you can have for whatever it costs to post it I don't think it suffers from 'the droop' but it is tatty 
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    DrBob said:
    If you do need an old/knackered wah I've got one you can have for whatever it costs to post it I don't think it suffers from 'the droop' but it is tatty 
    Cheers - that would be ideal! Is it a Crybaby style enclosure? Not too bothered about the tattiness - I quite fancy a renovation job!
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    In order to tighten the grip of the pedal, you need to tighten the screw holding what looks like a strip of leather. It's accessible by knocking out the pin which the treadle pivots upon. With the treadle out of the way you'll see the leather band held in place by a screw. Tightening that should fix it. 
    Now, this is what I was told to do more or less a few years back and I didn't have the courage to do it. There has to be a way to get in under the treadle and tighten the screw without disassembling the wah. 
    edited May 2017
    lukedlb said:
    In order to tighten the grip of the pedal, you need to tighten the screw holding what looks like a strip of leather. It's accessible by knocking out the pin which the treadle pivots upon. With the treadle out of the way you'll see the leather band held in place by a screw. Tightening that should fix it. 
    Now, this is what I was told to do more or less a few years back and I didn't have the courage to do it. There has to be a way to get in under the treadle and tighten the screw without disassembling the wah. 
    Yup - tightened those screws like I say (the bit that looks like leather is actually metal) but it still droops!
    @DrBob is kindly sorting me out with a wah which I will use to rehouse mine. 
    DrBob said:
    Well thanks to @DrBob I now have a Wah that can keep it up. Today I received this And after a bit of scraping, scrubbing, hammering, drilling, screwing and spraying I now have this - 
    I'm well chuffed!
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Gagaryn said:
    DrBob said:
    Well thanks to @DrBob I now have a Wah that can keep it up. Today I received this And after a bit of scraping, scrubbing, hammering, drilling, screwing and spraying I now have this - 
    I'm well chuffed!
    Can I see send you mine to 'Wah-Jazzle' ??!
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    Try Viagwa
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    That looks brilliant
    nice idea with the pedalboard tabs
    how are you doing that?
    edited May 2017
    Cabicular said:
    That looks brilliant
    how are you doing that?
    Johnnyshredfreak pedal mounts. His website seems to have disappeared but looked like this, I just put a couple of bends into the longer ones so they screw under the Wah's rubber feet then screwed to the Board. A lot easier if you have a wooden board - i use a Diageo Commuter board that came free with a magazine subscription. I just use velcro for other pedals but these are a great solution for Wah pedals.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Try putting some large washers under the screw heads so it pulls the band down closer to the treadle bar. You may need larger bolts too...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    Try putting some large washers under the screw heads so it pulls the band down closer to the treadle bar. You may need larger bolts too...
    Actually bought a replacement band but didn't need it as DrBob's enclosure has plenty tension so all good for the moment. Washers is a good idea though. Would make sense to use bolts with a head that could grip with a spanner too as it's a bit of a faff with the philips head bolts that are standard.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Gagaryn said:
    Cabicular said:
    That looks brilliant
    how are you doing that?
    Johnnyshredfreak pedal mounts. His website seems to have disappeared but looked like this, I just put a couple of bends into the longer ones so they screw under the Wah's rubber feet then screwed to the Board. A lot easier if you have a wooden board - i use a Diageo Commuter board that came free with a magazine subscription. I just use velcro for other pedals but these are a great solution for Wah pedals.

Interesting