New Fender Mustang GT

What's Hot

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited May 2017
    I found this Manual, answers some questions.

https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/115006900063/Mustang_GT_Advanced_Manual_ENG_7712493000_REV_A.pdf

Looks even better know that I know it has ASIO, and that you can hook up an expression pedal.
    Thanks for that. Just had a look through, & seems quite similar in functionality to the previous Mustang, but with some nice extras eg looper.  Sadly, Fender still hasn't added an extension cab out so eg if you got the GT100 but wanted to run it through an external cab, you can't (unless you mod it - but then you invalidate the warranty).  That was the reason I returned and exchanged the Mustang III I bought - a 1x12 is smaller, lighter & more convenient than a 2x12 but sometimes you just want the option of a 'bigger/fuller' sound (eg at a gig).
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    I think the amps sound great in this video. Would love to A/B one against the Katana...... Hmmm, do I really need a 100watt head????
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    The Yamaha THR10 is £220 so I don't think £195 is that expensive relatively speaking?
    THR10 is shit IMO. A waste of £220.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited May 2017
    The Mustang GT200 really does sound pretty good in that video.

What's a fantastic boon from my perspective is how lightweight these amps are - with my bad back this really, really is a HUGE consideration if I was ever going to buy another amp.  The 1x12 Mustang III is 36lbs.  But even the 2x12 GT200 is only an incredible 34lbs (2lbs lighter!!), and the GT100 is a ridiculously light 22lbs.  Even I can carry those!!

This means that buying the 2x12 and taking it to rehearsals/gigs for a bigger tone really is now a realistic proposition - I just wish the GT100 had an extn cab out whereby I could plug it into a 2x12 or 4x12 cab. 

The other thing I really like is that BOTH the GT100 & GT200 now come with the 4-button MGT4 footswitch.  Previously, the 4-button switch only came with the Mustang IV & V - with the III you only got the 2-button switch & had to pay extra for the 4-button pedal - although you could gain extra switching functionality by using both the 2-button & 4-button footswitches together which I don't think is an option with the GT series anymore.  

And the GT series are set at very reasonable prices too - £440 for the GT200 and £325 for the GT100 won't break the bank, although I'd expect even those prices to come down after a while.  

Its just a nuisance (at least for me) that once again the GT series have top mounted controls as it makes stacking amps a problem at home where I have limited space.  But for combos I can completely understand it re visibility where you have an LCD display.  Interesting that there is no head version of the GT to replace the Mustang V - I wonder if that's because the V didn't sell as well or whether a GT head might follow?

The reason I'm using Vox Tonelabs currently is because I can no longer cope with the weight of schlapping out heavy amps (up/down stairs, in/out cars etc). I plug the TL's into the amps at the rehearsal rooms & for gigging the TL's go straight through the PA.  But the GT series means I could have the best of both worlds - a light, fully self-contained 2x12 amp that I could use on its own with no external pedal board or MFX unit that would give me huge volume & consistent tone (instead of relying on amps at the rehearsal rooms) either as an amp, or I could still connect it out to the PA system.  

Me thinks I need to have a much closer look at these, & try them out myself!  Whether I can fit it in space-wise at home I don't know - I may have to sell an amp that I don't really want to do.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • I liked the sound of the 200, and wanted the 40 to rival the THR but when I heard it on the video it sounded boxy. I'll be interested to know how it sounds in the room and through headphones.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    I like the look of the GT40 for home noodling.

Any idea on a release date @MattFGBI ?
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Chuffola said:

I think they are already available in shops.
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    edited May 2017

Chuffola said:

They started shipping to dealers last week so should see them arriving in shops very soon. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    edited May 2017
    Cheers. Must check one out this week.

Edit: Just phoned Dawsons and they said 19th May into their warehouse and then another week until arriving in Belfast! Boo!
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    Peter Honore and Rob Chapman have one thing in common, as soon as I see them I switch off. Lee should do these vids on his own.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
    The Yamaha THR10 is £220 so I don't think £195 is that expensive relatively speaking?
    THR10 is shit IMO. A waste of £220.  
    Yeah I agree, I sent mine back.They've gone up to £255 as well now at places like Coda.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    They seem to have a GT40 at GuitarGuitar in Edinburgh.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105

Just Wow. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2219
    edited May 2017
    I've said this on another thread, but I tried out a GT100 today, and for the £ it sounds really fucking good. Seriously. Also, the lightest amps of that size/power I've ever lifted: when you pick it up, its lightness is a surprise.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    I'm all about the Katana at the minute but these make them look dated already. A stroke of genius to have Nick Reinhardt demo them - a postmodern guitarist for a postmodern amp. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    I'm all about the Katana at the minute but these make them look dated already. A stroke of genius to have Nick Reinhardt demo them - a postmodern guitarist for a postmodern amp. 
    I don't think so

The Katana is deliberately designed to have a really simple interface. The Mustang is more of a spider v rival. 
  • ChristopheChristophe Frets: 62
    I don't think so

The Katana is deliberately designed to have a really simple interface. The Mustang is more of a spider v rival. 
    I agree, the Katana has almost an analogue UI which appeals to me whereas the GT is much more digital in its approach. For what it's worth I thought the GT sounded great. I'd be interested to hear it in a store.
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    Another review here. Worth a watch if you're tempted I reckon.

• TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    Yep shane gave that a fairly meh review, kudos to him for his honesty, pity more reviewers werent like him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2325
    I still think the Katana 100 is the best deal for the price/weight/tone/features/volume.