New Fender Mustang GT

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    Great review from Shane. 

I agree entirely. I had one of the previous generation Mustangs and though the cleans were very good the drive sounds were awful and it HATED pedals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    Great review from Shane. 

I agree entirely. I had one of the previous generation Mustangs and though the cleans were very good the drive sounds were awful and it HATED pedals.
    Modelling amps are simply not designed for use with pedals. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Voxman said:
    Great review from Shane. 

The high end ones are. I've seen plenty of pedal demos done with an Axe FX. 

By all accounts the Katana takes pedals OK.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    fftc said:
    Another review here. Worth a watch if you're tempted I reckon.

Voxman said:
    Great review from Shane. 

The high end ones are. I've seen plenty of pedal demos done with an Axe FX. 

By all accounts the Katana takes pedals OK.
    Watching bits of the demo, it's a fair advert for what a Bandit can do! I'd say my little Mustang is even worse than that GT200 with pedals.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Voxman said:
    Great review from Shane. 

My CODE works fine with pedals.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4692
    So does my non digital Vox AV30.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I think the main issue with Pedals on modelling amps in the past is that it raised the input level too far, these leads the amp to clip and that doesn't sound good. I think more modern amps are designed to lower the level if it is too high.
    The fact that some modelling amps might sound ok with pedals is a fortunate by product but its rarely by design because they are not aimed at pedal junkies who traditionally prefer valve amps. They are designed primarily to be used with the inbuilt effects as a complete package solution and one of their selling points is you don't need to carry around a heavy effects board with them

As an example, most of the Vox Valvetronix amps sound ok with pedals, but its not how they were designed to be used and their signal path design didn't have external pedals in mind.

The amps that were specifically designed for use with pedals and where the circuitry was designed for that very purpose are amps like the new Vox AV series (Analogue Valve) amps.  

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2324
    I can't believe the latest pricing on the Yamaha THR....it's now a fairly old (but established) product....
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    Shane has some more to say!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Wow Mustang fail.
    Ha, just looked this up to post that video. Yet again seems you are better off with a Bandit. 
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2025
    edited May 2017
    Disappointing but Shane knows his stuff. I was seriously thinking of getting one of these - not now.

Having said that, I've had the use of a Spider V 60 for the last couple of weeks and I'm really impressed with it. There are eleventy billion amps and fx and most aren't great. But some models are fantastic.

I've set up 3 great patches - Twin, edge-of-breakup Deluxe and Plexi - and they sound excellent.  At home  volumes, anyway- no idea, but suspect like most modelling amps they'd lose a lot live.  It also sounds great with the parlour acoustic - the tweeter adds a lot.

I'm very tempted to get one - its a lot of fun.
    edited May 2017
    Well, Shane's vid has totally put me off the GT Mustang.  I still like the v2 Mustangs which are good amps. Not sure why his vid showed a guitar instead of a blues junior though.  Be interested to watch his vid on the Katana 100, as he really comes across as a straight guy and seems to know his stuff.
    Voxman said:
    Well, Shane's vid has totally put me off the GT Mustang.  I still like the v2 Mustangs which are good amps. Not sure why his vid showed a guitar instead of a blues junior though.  Be interested to watch his vid on the Katana 100, as he really comes across as a straight guy and seems to know his stuff.
    It is explained on the video (berry briefly) - he bought a blues jr with his shop credit but that was faulty, the other jr in the shop was faulty as well so he got the guitar.
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    edited May 2017
    Voxman said:
    You've got to watch the text boxes starting at 3.15. Think Fender might have cursed him!

• MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    I'd recommend trying one out for yourselves before making a decision. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    If i had been shane id have taken a pro jr instead of a blues jr
    tFB Trader
    He didn't take either the Blues Jr was DOA so he bought a guitar.
    edited May 2017
    He didn't take either the Blues Jr was DOA so he bought a guitar.
    Pro junior is a decent amp; a blues junior isn't the worst amp ever made...but its friggin' close!  And at least the Mustang GT200 worked!!